Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Belt Part Deux

Options
  • 27-01-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Well Ive been a member of boards for a long time now and at one stage had a log running here coming up to my wedding. Now the weddings over and the house is built and I have gained weight and gotten out of shape, big time.
    So what are my goals -
    1 - Get fit
    2 - Get in shape
    3 - Get my Black Belt

This time Im sticking at it. I hate looking in the mirror now. For the first time in my life I have a pot belly and I really dont like it. When I was training hard I was well built. Not huge, but well built enough for my wife to have noticed things have changed. My energy levels have gone through the floor and I want them back.

Stats:
    Age - 31
    Height - 5ft 7
    Weight - 11st
    BF - Id say almost 30%

Nutrition:
    Breakfast - 6.45am - Porridge or bowl of fruit with natural yoghurt
    Snack - 10.15am - Coffee and scone or brown bread
    Lunch - 12.15am - Sambo
    Dinner - 6.30pm - Meat and veg, pasta, or fish

Cardio training:
    Monday - Karate - 1.5hrs
    Tuesday - Astro Soccer - 1hr
    Wednesday - Karate - 1hr
    Friday - Possibly Astro again.

Day 1:
    Karate - started back last night. Almost killed me. Was nice and woozy at the end and Im stiff today. But Im back and thats all that matters!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Good man yerself and I have no doubt you will get back in shape and show your wife a thing or two:D

Few tips you can take or leave:

-Looks like there is a fair gap between lunch and dinner - nuts/fruits/protein of some sort good to include here if you are hungry between meals.

-Take photos! It is very gratifying seeing the difference over the weeks and months.

-If you feel your diet is slipping start keeping a food log.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

celestial wrote: »
    Good man yerself and I have no doubt you will get back in shape and show your wife a thing or two:D

Few tips you can take or leave:

-Looks like there is a fair gap between lunch and dinner - nuts/fruits/protein of some sort good to include here if you are hungry between meals.

-Take photos! It is very gratifying seeing the difference over the weeks and months.

-If you feel your diet is slipping start keeping a food log.

Cheers Celestial. Ill add some fruit in there for definite as I dont think Im eating enough fruit at all. Any advice on what to do to increase energy levels, or will they increase as I get into the routine more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Cheers Celestial. Ill add some fruit in there for definite as I dont think Im eating enough fruit at all. Any advice on what to do to increase energy levels, or will they increase as I get into the routine more?

Ah yeah, they will shoot up automatically as soon as you start into the training and new way of eating. Probably you'll be a bit worn out/stiff at first getting back into it but that's all good and instead of feeling tired and sluggish in the evenings you'll have that nice 'worn out from training' feeling that means you've had a good day's work done!

Also was meant to mention it would be highly recommended to start weight/resistance training. You might get that from your karate training if you are doing bodyweight exercises but you should look to introduce resistance training at some stage if you wanna look built in any shape or form.

celestial wrote: »
    Ah yeah, they will shoot up automatically as soon as you start into the training and new way of eating. Probably you'll be a bit worn out/stiff at first getting back into it but that's all good and instead of feeling tired and sluggish in the evenings you'll have that nice 'worn out from training' feeling that means you've had a good day's work done!

Also was meant to mention it would be highly recommended to start weight/resistance training. You might get that from your karate training if you are doing bodyweight exercises but you should look to introduce resistance training at some stage if you wanna look built in any shape or form.

Yeah I have a Marcy SM600 weights bench and 140kg of weights. Just in the process of clearing space in the garage for the bench and also a punch bag. Just have to get dumbbells for the discs now and I should be sorted.

Tuesday 28th Jan -
    1hr of Astro Turf Soccer. Plenty of running and got a nice sweat going.
    Woke up this morning and my calves were in bits. Walking down the stairs was an achievement!!!! Nice to feel that kind of burn again!

• Advertisement

Been keeping up the training lately. Karate twice a week and Astro twice a week. The garage is in the process of becomming a Martial Arts/Weights area so thatll give me the option to do weights also.

Was handed a major goal last night. My instructor has me down for the Black Belt grading in 6 weeks. So I need to get my diet sorted and my training up to speed asap. No more white bread, no more sugar. Just healthy eating - fruit, lean meats and hopefully structure my eating plan properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Been keeping up the training lately. Karate twice a week and Astro twice a week. The garage is in the process of becomming a Martial Arts/Weights area so thatll give me the option to do weights also.

Was handed a major goal last night. My instructor has me down for the Black Belt grading in 6 weeks. So I need to get my diet sorted and my training up to speed asap. No more white bread, no more sugar. Just healthy eating - fruit, lean meats and hopefully structure my eating plan properly.

Hello,

All the best for the black belt. My 2cent would be to drop the astro and the weights for the next 6 weeks, and up your 2 karate classes to about 5/6 per week (presuming you've enough clubs in your assoc you can get to etc). Astro and weights will be there after you get the BB. Nothing like extra classes to get you sharp and your skill levels up prior to a grading.

Good luck,

Simon

Hi Simon,
    Thanks for that. Was hoping to make extra session but that wont happen. Between work and home life I coulnt make the extra sessions. The astro session gives me a chance to get the cardio up as its an hour of non stop going. Builds up a nice sweat and I can stretch out afterwards.
    With the weights I was planning on using 2kg weights and concentrate on punches and blocks. Instructor used these with me in the gym and the difference was unreal. Punches and blocks were faster the next week at training.

Time to resurect this thread and get things back on track again.
    Had every excuse over the last few months to not do much with this, and thankfully all those excuses are gone. Sat my final degree exams yesterday. Im free to get fit and happy again.

The training will still be the same. Karate twice a week, astro once a week, and then some light running and weights at home.

Diet is crap. I eat clean, but I dont eat enough. Ill trawl through the stickies and other posts and draw up a plan for myself and stick to it. My goal is to get my black belt. But until that happens I want to eat clean and get fit, fast and strong.

Tuesday 19th

Food -
    7.20am - Breakfast - 2 Weetabix 1 apple 1 mandarin
    10.15am - Snack - Wholemeal toast & cup of coffee
    12.30pm - Ham and Cheese Toasty and a bag of crisps
    6.30pm - Dinner - Homemade burgers, potato and beans.

8.30 - 10pm - Astro - Made the point of running everywhere on the pitch. Am shattered now - but feel good. Covered a serious amount of ground and only spent about 15 mins in goal.

Gona be stiff tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Went for a run this evening and then stretched.

2km in 8 mins 58 seconds. The return 1kn is uphill which makes it painful!!

Stretched for about 30 mins afterwards

Rest day yesterday. Had to ice my foot. Dont know what I did to it at soccer a few weeks back but when I get up the morning its really sore on the outside of my baby toe and down the blade on my right foot. Then the pain goes away unless Im sitting for a while. Its sore to press on it.

Anyway the diet I think is pretty crap. Im going to take a look at celestials and steel that for a while and see how I get on.

Monday 25th - 2hr Karate class. Lots of sparring. Wrecked after it. Need to look into a few more combos.

Tuesday 26th

No astro today so went for a run instead:

2km in 9 mins 10 seconds. The return 1kn is uphill.

Stretched for about 30 mins afterwards. Was still stiff from Karate the night before.

Has to be one of the most frustrating injuries to have. Went and got xrayed to see if Id broken something, but it came back that everything was ok. Doc said that its probably tendon damage and to just rest it. Ive been resting it for about 6 weeks and its still no better.
    I have to get back to the gym and Karate or Ill go insane!

Ran 4k twice this weekend. Friday the time was 23 minutes and yesterday was 21.58.

Foot seems fine running. Its only if I hit the side of it that it hurts. Ill keep the running going for now and see how I get on.
    Back to the gym this week and Karate next Monday so fingers crossed itll be ok.

Advertisement