Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia router problems

Options
  • 27-01-2009 12:42pm

Hey everyone, I've been having a few problems with my netopia router lately. I've had the router for just over three years now so perhaps these problems down to it's age:
    There are several devices using it to connect to the internet in our house, two PS3's, two laptops and two ipods(not all at the same time).
    This has never been a problem before but since the weekend only one device at a time has been able to connect. Everything else times out trying to get an IP address. Yesterday evening no one could connect to the internet. Every device could connect to the router but not to the internet. I kept getting the limited or no connectivity message and was unable to repair the network.
    This morning though it seems to be working fine again. No settings have been changed at all so I'm wondering if the router should just be replaced?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hey everyone, I've been having a few problems with my netopia router lately. I've had the router for just over three years now so perhaps these problems down to it's age:
    There are several devices using it to connect to the internet in our house, two PS3's, two laptops and two ipods(not all at the same time).
    This has never been a problem before but since the weekend only one device at a time has been able to connect. Everything else times out trying to get an IP address. Yesterday evening no one could connect to the internet. Every device could connect to the router but not to the internet. I kept getting the limited or no connectivity message and was unable to repair the network.
    This morning though it seems to be working fine again. No settings have been changed at all so I'm wondering if the router should just be replaced?

Did you add any wireless devices recently in the house generally? Have you got the router security on wpa? You could try and change the wireless channel that you are using in case one of your neighbours is using the same one that you are.

dub45 wrote: »
    Did you add any wireless devices recently in the house generally? Have you got the router security on wpa? You could try and change the wireless channel that you are using in case one of your neighbours is using the same one that you are.

No new devices added recently, the router is set to wep and I can't detect any other networks nearby. I just thought the router might be knackered!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

No new devices added recently, the router is set to wep and I can't detect any other networks nearby. I just thought the router might be knackered!

Are there any wireless devices in the house at all? TV senders or anything like that?

wep is easily cracked so change it to wpa easily done.

Access the router (if its eircom its usually http://192.168.1.254) then look around the settings for wireless security change the type to wpa choose a new password - you could also change your network name while you are in there - save your settings and exit. Now you will see your new network name and when you go to access it you will be asked for your new password.

Advertisement