Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit run, How big?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 1:12pm

My daughter has recently got a rabbit, I have built a "no expences spared" hutch and run for it.

The hutch is 1 m (3 ft) wide by 30cm (1ft) deep and 40cm high with a 30cm square sleeping area, attached to the back of the hutch is a wire cage run 2metre (6 feet) square by 50cm high.

I think this is big enough.. the missus says it's too small.

She often lets the rabbit run around the garden!!! it always takes an age to get it back in the hutch, she thinks this is because the rabbit thinks the hutch is too small...

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'm no good with meters, feet wise 6 feet long for a rabbit run, ideally 6 feet wide but many people can't fit this size so around 2 to 3 feet wide.

Rabbits get bored easily so plenty of safe toys, at 6 months of age the bun needs to be neutered/spayed by an experienced small animal vet. Check out zooplus.uk (cheaper than zooplus.ie) for fun rabbit houses and toys and treats etc.

Once rabbit is neutered/spayed another bunny friend would keep him/her occupied, introducing them carefully of course and the other bun would need to be fixed as well.

They require vaccinations against Myxomatosis and VHD (2 weeks apart) even more so when outside.

They love to shred things like a plain brown paper bag, remove any stickers and handles, fill with hay and some chopped veggies and the rabbit will have a ball with it.

Rabbit's about one year old, not sure what jabs its had.
    Could two rabbits easily live in a hutch the size of the one above?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

at 6 months of age the bun needs to be neutered/spayed by an experienced small animal vet.

The rabbit dose not need to be neutered/spayed it is an option but it is not essential.

Other than that all good advice from Guineapigrescue

LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

If you are getting a second rabbit it will be easier for them to get along as friends if they are both neutered -- otherwise they will either have lots of babies, or, if they are the same sex, they will get frustrated and nip at each other and stuff. I found with my bunnies that once they were neutered they enjoyed each other's company more, before that they only had one thing on their mind ;). If you neuter your bunny now, then when s/he is recovered get him/her a little friend (with a view to neutering once mature) there will be no chance of having a litter you don't want and a good chance they will be lifelong friends. Just going on my own experience. :)

Edit: Re. your original question -- with the attached run that area sounds spacious enough for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"The rabbit dose not need to be neutered/spayed it is an option but it is not essential"

If the rabbit is around 3 or under, in good health and female it is essential that the rabbit is spayed. Does have approx. 80% chance of contracting a reproductive cancer. You could say it's not essentail to spay/neuter a cat or dog either but it is the responsible thing to do esp. if introducing another one eventually.

Rabbits are ruled by their hormones, some are pretty chilled in general but many end up frustrated and grumpy if not spayed/neutered. Females can be even grumpier than males. Of course it is up to individual owners so I'll say no more lol.

Hutch wise the rabbit needs to be able to stretch out fully lenghtways and be able to stand up fully in it as well. There needs to be a seperate bed area, with a solid door (most hutches have this so yours prob. already does).

That size hutch would be ok for 2 rabbits as long as they have access to the run, the larger the hutch the better, however in winter time larger hutches, like large kennels can be cold and the smaller ones will hold in the heat better so that size should be fine. In general they only like to sleep in the hutch and use it as a shelter, they love being out in the run and going about their bunny buisness.

The problem with a lot of rabbit runs is that they aren't high enough 6 feet is great for a bun or two, they do like to sumersault and jump about so as long as bun isn't banging it's head off the roof of it when jumping about it's fine.
    Another rabbit friend is the best form of entertainment ..obviously as long as they get on together.

Some rescues will have rabbits already spayed/neutered check out limerick animal welfres website.

General tip for all bunny owners that have their rabbits outside.

It's pretty cold atm so check their bedding daily ideally towards the evening to make sure their sleeping area is bone dry, top up with lots of hay so the rabbit can bury themselves in it. Rabbits also love soft cat beds and vet bed.
    Snuggle safe heat pads are great for buns but can go cold during the night.
    Blue tarp-the type to cover cars with from hardware shops or argos-are great to put over the top of the hutch and the run when it's raining and also the run or half the run when the weathers hot. It can be tied down or weighed down (gotta love rocks).

I've also used things like outdoor umbrellas in summer to shelter them very handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement