Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigerian woman loses her deportation challenge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mena wrote: »
    You're dodging the point. Your gross generalisations show nothing but a close minded xenophobic attitude and do nothing but foster poor relations and spread lies and innacuracies about what is going on out there.

Rant all you want about bogus asylum cases and illegal immigrants, I'll join you, but don't be tarring us all with the same brush.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer....!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/nigerian-woman-loses-latest-deportation-challenge-1616130.html

:D:D Finally after costing Irish taxpayers millions with her bogus claims she is going to be deported, looks like the judges of this country are waking up and and sensing the mood of people in this country, Ireland is no longer a soft touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlzPFm44Wac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 caz88

You're dodging the point. Your gross generalisations show nothing but a close minded xenophobic attitude and do nothing but foster poor relations and spread lies and innacuracies about what is going on out there.

Rant all you want about bogus asylum cases and illegal immigrants, I'll join you, but don't be tarring us all with the same brush.

i couldn't agree more. but i would kill to have such a simplistic outlook on society as some of the people in this thread. what really is the problem with this woman and her children living and working here? is sligo too full or something? have you heard of a thing call taxes? foreigners pay them too you know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Berlin has a far stronger left-wing population by Dublin, by which I mean anarchist/punk/communist attitudes. I'd have thought it was common knowledge. I'm going by seven months living in the city, seeing them, meeting them, talking to them. It comes mainly from the city's history and a less Amercan approach to consumerism. This is, by definition, neo-liberalism.

Erm...I know the type since I'm a Berliner myself, now living in Ireland.
    They're the Alternativszene, the left wing, the "Alternativ-Gruen" intellectuals from Prenzlberg & Kreuzberg and other old Berlin districts (linke Kieze). Very bohemian, very educated (and sometimes full of bull**** too) and mostly very nice people I'd have a lot in common with, but the one thing they are not is neo-liberal. They would actually consider themselves to be very opposed to neo-liberal people. The term 'neo-liberal' is used for a different mindset altogether.

Funny thing init, historically? That of all the places Berlin has a traditionally very strong left-wing, bohemian population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Good riddence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

caz88 wrote: »
    i couldn't agree more. but i would kill to have such a simplistic outlook on society as some of the people in this thread. what really is the problem with this woman and her children living and working here? is sligo too full or something? have you heard of a thing call taxes? foreigners pay them too you know :rolleyes:

Does this woman pay her taxes or live on handouts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Ally Dick wrote: »

As an asylum seeker, she is legally barred from entering into any type of work.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    No Polish mentioned?

see, now that's weird.

I consider the Poles to be one of the few types of migrants who are good for the country. In general they have a good work ethic. I think the Chinese are good as well but we have too many of them and they are mostly a dour lot who don't integrate well in Irish society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Argument settled so. Get rid of her back to her own country and we won't have to put up with this additional expense. What about the legal fees ? I'm assumed we the taxpayers are paying for these as well. Bloody ridiculous

Unfortunately that is the truth of the matter. As much as I like the idea of open borders, it's just not practical and would no doubt end very badly.
    Argument settled so. Get rid of her back to her own country and we won't have to put up with this additional expense. What about the legal fees ? I'm assumed we the taxpayers are paying for these as well. Bloody ridiculous

She is liable for costs, however as I posted in another thread, you can't get blood from a stone so yes, we the taxpayers will be forking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I hope they are on a plane already.

well as far as i know (correct me if i am wrong) asylum seekers are not allowed to work and so have no choice to live off handouts while in the country. from what i know about this woman, she is seeking the right to work and live in sligo, and subsequently contribute taxes like any other working irish citizen. the laws the state has in place that prevents her from working here are very convienent in that they promote a nice level of resentment from the irish public, and people like you, who seem to think the country has a finite number of resources that will be depleted as more people enter the country. every time that woman buys an apple. a can of coke, a pair of shoes for her daughter, she is contributing taxes to our economy. you probably receive far more allowances and benefits from the irish government than she ever has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

tis about time. Delighted for her.

• Advertisement

ah the joy of taxes, if you want to nitpick at everything your taxes pay for you will find your wages fund alot of things you don't want to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its €19.10 a week plus a free merc ;)

I've said this before.

If you want to work..apply for a work permit

If you want to scrounge benefits..apply for asylum.

I am sick of my tax money being wasted on these freeloaders and even sicker of the Irish ignoramuses who feel they should be allowed to stay here and scrounge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

well as far as i know (correct me if i am wrong) asylum seekers are not allowed to work and so have no choice to live off handouts while in the country. from what i know about this woman, she is seeking the right to work and live in sligo, and subsequently contribute taxes like any other working irish citizen. the laws the state has in place that prevents her from working here are very convienent in that they promote a nice level of resentment from the irish public, and people like you, who seem to think the country has a finite number of resources that will be depleted as more people enter the country. every time that woman buys an apple. a can of coke, a pair of shoes for her daughter, she is contributing taxes to our economy. you probably receive far more allowances and benefits from the irish government than she ever has.

She might be seeking the "right to work and live in sligo".....but she certainly won't be getting it.

Donegalfella, from what i've been told (by a senior immigration lawyer)...it's extremely unlikely that the European Court will prevent their rightful deportations...the minister will be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

As an Asylum seeker she is supposed to present herself for asylum to the authorities in the first country she lands in outside of the country she is fleeing. Last time i checked there are no direct flights from Lagos to Dublin.

She and many more nigerian economic migrants that arrive here 39 weeks pregnant with their hands out are depriving genuine asylum seekers of aid.

Unless a Nigerian has a working Visa and employment prearranged in this country there is no justifiable reason for 1 of them to be in this country.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I see the pussy slice post is gone.

Can someone explain to me why they perform that in nigeria? and is this a nationwide thing there or some backwater tribe tradition?

she is seeking the right to work and live in sligo

Doing what exactly?
    If she wanted to work she should've applied for a work permit,not asylum.

She's seeking the right to stay here and claim benefits.

Good riddence to her and her ilk,they're helping to bleed the country white.
    http://hiberniagirl.blogspot.com/2008/05/asylum-seekers-will-cost-300m-in-legal.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Degsy wrote: »

If you want to scrounge benefits..apply for asylum.

And what "benefits" would these be? How much, exactly, do they amount to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Good man Dick Littlejohn. Get back to your tabloid paper and your white van.

That said, if there was a 22-page document involved, it's obvious that there were some doubts about female genital mutilation.

And to be honest, this FGH is being used as an excuse a lot these days. And as far as I know, it's not that widespread in Nigeria - which is where a lot of these refugee cases originate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can someone explain to me why they perform that in nigeria? and is this a nationwide thing there or some backwater tribe tradition?

yea just seems to have vanished, I replied recommending we send out Charlie Bird to make sure the girls are safe....thought it was a good idea, make a film about it...

don't think they do what you say so graphically, i think they just poke sticks at it to make sure there still virgins....

Victor_M wrote: »
    As an Asylum seeker she is supposed to present herself for asylum to the authorities in the first country she lands in outside of the country she is fleeing. Last time i checked there are no direct flights from Lagos to Dublin.

She and many more nigerian economic migrants that arrive here 39 weeks pregnant with their hands out are depriving genuine asylum seekers of aid.

Unless a Nigerian has a working Visa and employment prearranged in this country there is no justifiable reason for 1 of them to be in this country.

Jeez, I'm sorry if it now appears I am picking on you, but this silly argument comes up every time asylum and refugees are mentioned.

You are wrong. If you want to argue about asylum and refugees please, please at least do the slightest little bit of homework first.

I suggest you read up about the "Dublin Regulation". Here is a short extract outlining the relevant points.

Suffice it to say, there are direct flights from Lagos to Dublin, as described under the Dublin Regulation.

Edit: donegalfella got there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

yea just seems to have vanished, I replied recommending we send out Charlie Bird to make sure the girls are safe....thought it was a good idea, make a film about it...

don't think they do what you say so graphically, i think they just poke sticks at it to make sure there still virgins....

Surely it would be better to send a journalist of some sort?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Nodin wrote: »
    And what "benefits" would these be? How much, exactly, do they amount to?

Lets see now..on succesfully being granted asylum she stood to get:
    Free housing
    Social welfare
    Childrens' allowance
    Medical card
    Various allowances eg footwear and clothing allowances
    and most importantly THE COMPLETE BACKING of a small but vocal left-wing with access to the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Surely it would be better to send a journalist of some sort?

I forgot Bird is an explorer these days.....maybe we should send Lorraine Keane instead, no fear of her getting eaten...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Free housing
    Social welfare
    Childrens' allowance
    Medical card
    and most importantly THE COMPLETE BACKING of a small but vocal left-wing with access to the media.

Shame on you for bringing that to light.....

Sure didn't the irish go etc etc..

I stand corrected on the matter of the country they land in first.

Obviously between the loophole regarding not leaving an airport en route to the country which hands out the most free stuff and the good Friday agreement loophole regarding the birth of a child on the Island of Ireland we unfortunately have left ourselves wide open to shameful abuse from many nations, Nigeria being the most prominent due to it global reputation for dishonesty.

It sickens me that genuine Asylum seekers are suffering because our government panders to the demands of the fraudsters who have be well versed in what to say, where to go and what to demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

testicle wrote: »
    I hope they are on a plane already.
    I love hypocritical zionists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

freedom of speech is allowed here i hope?
    Nope. This isn't a state-backed website, it's a private one so you CAN'T say what you like.

Free housing
    Social welfare
    Childrens' allowance
    Medical card

And what makes you think that she intended to go on benefits as oppossed to starting a life here, with a job etc....

Why would she get that on succesful completion of her application, when in fact what support she has is in relation to her failure thus far to be granted same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Like some have pointed out, she still has a chance, as the European courts will decide?

She has been thru an exhaustive legal process and has been found to not warrant a stay here. Didn't the state award costs AGAINST her?

Maybe now, these filth greedy lawyers will think twice about delaying and delaying and delaying these court decisions. Who pays the lawyers now? The woman never could, and we, the taxpayer, have been footing the bill for far too long with these bogus deportation
    cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

At what stage will bleeding heart, left wing, melting pot,lets feed the world liberals understand this is a small country,with a population pre-1999 of approx 4.2 million........how the fcuk can we now be expected to sustain 5+million many of who send home vast amounts of cash. Any small country cannot sustain billions of euro sent out of it's economy over a period of time.

And what makes you think that she intended to go on benefits as oppossed to starting a life here, with a job etc....

Why would she get that on succesful completion of her application, when in fact what support she has is in relation to her failure thus far to be granted same?

A)Because she dint apply for a work permit,she applied for asylum,in the knowledge that she couldnt work and
    b)http://www.letthemstay.org/

Anyway,she's going and thats the main thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

Hah, I'm non-EU and would almost be sure I've paid twice the taxes you have in the eight years I've been here.
    you may have paid your taxes but there are thousands who have arrived here over the years been allowed to work and for their first three or so years whilst working have been exempt from paying tax.i know this because i've worked with people who've never paid taxes in their first few years and have seen their wage slips.
    F.G.M. as it's called has been used in nearly all asy cases involving women and their daughters. if this country was to grant asy to everyone then the economy would've went belly up years ago. anyone that gets asylum here doesn't live on fresh air ,most things are paid for by the tax payers upto and including accomodation
    Thats actually not true.

Whats a "common fact" btw?
    i know people who advertised their cars for sale in certain mags/papers, f.n's. mainly nigerians have come out looked at the car said yes they'll take the car ask if the seller would accept s/w/ cheques and turn up the following day in full payment with the s/w. cheque .now whether the s/w. gave them the cheque to buy a car i dont know, for all i know they could've given the s/w. officer some cock and bull story about needing the money. but it does and has gone on.

Of course I have, how many slipped in during the 5 years before that gaping hole in our constitution was closed?

They have just changed tack and there are so many of them here now that can 'advise' their former neighbours back in Nigeria as to how best to get into the country, where to go, what to say and what to demand. It's sickening.

If the full extent of the taxpayers money that has been giving as handouts to these leeches was ever fully admitted there would be war. We have so many of our own citizens and EU citizens that need help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Of course I have, how many slipped in during the 5 years before that gaping hole in our constitution was closed?

They have just changed tack and there are so many of them here now that can 'advise' their former neighbours back in Nigeria as to how best to get into the country, where to go, what to say and what to demand. It's sickening.

If the full extent of the taxpayers money that has been giving as handouts to these leeches was ever fully admitted there would be war. We have so many of our own citizens and EU citizens that need help.
    Victor, be careful, you will have the do gooders' calling you a racist for those views!

A)Because she dint apply for a work permit,she applied for asylum,in the knowledge that she couldnt work

...but she couldn't get those benefits while she was applying for Asylum, which is a notoriously long process at the best of times.

You aren't making much sense.
    i know people who advertised their cars for sale in certain mags/papers, f.n's. mainly nigerians have come out looked at the car said yes they'll take the car ask if the seller would accept s/w/ cheques and turn up the following day in full payment with the s/w. cheque .now whether the s/w. gave them the cheque to buy a car i dont know, for all i know they could've given the s/w. officer some cock and bull story about needing the money. but it does and has gone on.

Total crap, with no foundation in truth whatsoever. "i know people" is the usual useless nonsense that comes up.

This is a myth that started over the water.
    http://www.oldham.gov.uk/asylum_seekers_web.pdf

Now I see eejits parroting this second hand shyte over here....

Neither asylum-seekers nor refugees receive free
    mobile phones or cars from the State, as some
    inaccurate reports have suggested.

http://www.nccri.ie/pdf/MythsRefugees-AsylumSeekers.pdf

They were ALL in before the loophole was closed. The ones who were here rang their friends and told them to get over here quick before the law was changed. I was in Holles St hospital visiting someone and I could have sworn that I was in Lagos. It is a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Nodin, are you really Michael D Higgins moonlighting on here ?

A)Because she dint apply for a work permit,she applied for asylum,in the knowledge that she couldnt work and
    b)http://www.letthemstay.org/

Anyway,she's going and thats the main thing!

An individual cannot apply for a work permit. A company has to do it on your behalf, and when accepted you're pretty much bonded slave labour. Not arguing your point here, just stating a fact.
    you may have paid your taxes but there are thousands who have arrived here over the years been allowed to work and for their first three or so years whilst working have been exempt from paying tax.i know this because i've worked with people who've never paid taxes in their first few years and have seen their wage slips.

Bah, and here I've been paying mine all this time and I didn't have to! I could be rich(er)!!

As to your point though, is this not more to do with dodgy employers? Either way it should be stopped, we need all the damn taxes we can get at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

http://www.afrol.com/images/maps/fgm_map.gif

While FGM is prevalent in Nigeria, it's nowhere near as widespread as Sudan, Egypt or Ethiopia.

It really is an awful thing, but consider these two facts:
    1. It affects 100-150 million people worldwide.
    2. Ireland is a pretty small country.

My heart bleeds for these people, and for all the other wronged people in Tibet, Bosnia, the Palestine, etc. etc. If we can help them at all, we should.

But we can't give them all a house, handouts, etc. Not all of them.

We agree on something... :eek: I need a drink!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement