Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Sites Not Ranking On Google

Options
  • 27-01-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

Was wondering could anyone help me, i recently made my first two website for friends of mine, i'd post links to them but not sure if im allowed.

anyway i basically want to get them comming up on the google search results

i submitted both urls to google and verified both sites using a HTML page

but still no go on the search and this was two weeks ago

any ideas?

thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

discopig wrote: »
    but still no go on the search and this was two weeks ago

any ideas?

Give it time and keep building links while you wait.

It can take a while; two weeks isn't that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 discopig

Goodshape wrote: »
    Give it time and keep building links while you wait.

It can take a while; two weeks isn't that long.

hiya, thanks for getting back to me

im a n00b at this, what do you mean by building links?

Incoming links to your site from other, preferably related and reputable, sites.

Google search has plenty of results on this.

Often it's a two-step process --- first, have content that people would want to link to. Second, try to make them aware of it. Not always an easy task.

Bottom line answer to your question though --- getting indexed in Google can take longer than two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

there are load and load of things to take into consideration when building in terms of Search Engine optimisation. If you use good clean code with CSS and dont contain any text in images it's a good start. Also keeping a blog on the site helps, etc etc.

Link building is very advisable all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

DUB wrote: »
    Also keeping a blog on the site helps, etc etc.

Might be splitting hairs here, but considering how loads of people have interpreted the above, I just want to clarify something on what "KEEPING" a blog does and doesn't mean.
    • HAVING a blog does nothing for a site
    • USING a blog improves a site, solely because the site is viewed as being updated frequently

So basically, the issue is "is a site updated frequently, making it more interesting"......a blog is ONLY a mechanism for doing that, just as a CMS that allowed you to add "LATEST NEWS" or similar would be.

But you'd have to actually USE the BLOG / LATEST NEWS - and use them frequently - for it to be effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is there any way to force google to look at your site using google webmaster tools?

I'm just after updating my robots.txt file to give them permission to crawl the site but they've still got my older version cached.

Do i just have to wait it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

op: submit it to web directories like
    http://www.dmoz.org/
    http://directory.google.com/

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there any way to force google to look at your site using google webmaster tools?
    AFAIR, they have a 'submit website' tool in there. Not sure how effective it is.

Was looking to get a site of mine indexed recently enough and I was waiting about a month. Nearly pulling my hair out by the end, thinking it had all gone pete tong... but it worked itself out eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Goodshape wrote: »
    AFAIR, they have a 'submit website' tool in there. Not sure how effective it is.

Was looking to get a site of mine indexed recently enough and I was waiting about a month. Nearly pulling my hair out by the end, thinking it had all gone pete tong... but it worked itself out eventually.
    I think that just submits the site to directories

Advertisement