Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance

• 27-01-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all

about to start build at last as was looking for advice on insurance.
    I will be using insured Main contractor. How do i stand. Do I need my own employers liability or will the public liability and house insurance be adequate.

I have been discussing with various insurance companies and the answers seem unclear. Could anyone shed some light and maybe point me towards a good company to deal with. The house is 2700 sq ft with separate 525 sq ft garage.

Thanks all

Niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cilldara34

just public liability for the site just make sure the contractors policy dosent expire during the build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Not sure if you can buy standalone PL insurance? You won't be able to get house insurance until the house is substantially complete.

The main contractor will only insure their own risks for the duration of their activities. You won't be able to do any of your own work until the site is handed over unless you have your own policy in place, even then this might be problematic due to shared access etc.

Unfortunately "contractor's all risks" policies usually need to be taken out before the work starts. This insurance will cover H&S, public liability, employer's liability and damage/theft.

You may be advised to check with your solicitor. I've said this before but I was astounded by the level of trespass and theft from our site. We had a policy from Hibernian.

SSE

Advertisement