Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality broadband in City Centre

Options
  • 27-01-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm doing a bit of research on behalf of the Galway Social Space on Middle St.

We've had the Irish Broadband Ripwave 2mb account (broadband in a box) for the last 4 months or so, and it just doesn't cut it. There's wifi available in the cafe and a public office upstairs, and the waiting makes me want to pull my hair out.

We were contemplating the Breeze 4mb (roof top aerial) but the building is a two story house smack in the middle of 4 story buildings. We have also approached NTL and were told they do not cover that area...?

So, any recommendations? What are people using in town?

We don't need a phone line, tv channels or any of the bells and whistle...

Just a fast, stable connection for having multiple computers surfing at the same time. Budget is about €50/month...

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Smart Broadband is really good. I'm guessing its avilable where you are, my friend had it in Merchants Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Left wrote: »
    I'm doing a bit of research on behalf of the Galway Social Space on Middle St.

We've had the Irish Broadband Ripwave 2mb account (broadband in a box) for the last 4 months or so, and it just doesn't cut it. There's wifi available in the cafe and a public office upstairs, and the waiting makes me want to pull my hair out.

We were contemplating the Breeze 4mb (roof top aerial) but the building is a two story house smack in the middle of 4 story buildings. We have also approached NTL and were told they do not cover that area...?

So, any recommendations? What are people using in town?

We don't need a phone line, tv channels or any of the bells and whistle...

Just a fast, stable connection for having multiple computers surfing at the same time. Budget is about €50/month...

Help!

If their is a public office upstairs they may have the MAN terminated to them, could get the best broadband in the country from them ;)

if you can get the Irish Broadband Breeze, then i'd go with that, once it's installed properly!! it's very good! ideal for Voip and p2p, and i guess allot of online games will be played their too. but you don't know unless them come and test it from your location,
    Smart ADSL is also the next option i would go for,
    Digiweb would be also another option, their wireless metro is in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Smart Broadband is really good. I'm guessing its avilable where you are, my friend had it in Merchants Road

I have Smart broadband aswell and it is good I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

Excellent, nice to see some consensus :)

I've got Breeze at home and ya, love it! Online gaming central these days :cool: It would be great to have a few multiplayer game sessions in the Space...hmmmm....

I have a feeling the location just won't be any good for an aerial but I hope I'm wrong. There's also the issue of installation fee. Haven't broached that one yet...If I remember correctly, something like 180euro for IBB Breeze?

Anyone know what Smart charge for installing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Smart Telecom. I've been with them for years with never a problem. Having said that, I was looking into UPC ATM as they offer 20Mbps for the same price I'm paying for 8Mbps (if that makes sense :D).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC is very hit and miss and the old cable in the city centre often makes it a miss. make absolutely sure your neighbours get what they pay for before you shell out for a 1 year UPC contract .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement