Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing lease today

Options
  • 27-01-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm signing my first ever lease today. I asked if I could take it away and read it but the auctioneer was reluctant. She reassured me it was a standard, sensible, above board lease. She says I can read it there and then sign it. I don't think she has an agenda, I just think that she's being lazy and wants me to just sign it and go away and leave her get on with her life...

Are there any big-time boners that I should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Make sure you look at the special conditions...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You have certain statutory rights under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, which can't be nullified by any lease conditions. That said, it is definitely worth reading through anything you're going to sign.

Most leases are of a fairly standard variety, however there might be a few clauses put in it you might not like the look of. A clause allowing for new potential tenants to view the property over the last month of the lease is one that springs to mind. I took issue with a clause in my last lease, which stated "the apartment had been handed over in excellent condition with a high standard of cleaning throughout" - it hadn't.

I'd give it a read through in her office, but don't rush yourself. Sit out in the waiting area maybe, and read it at your own pace. You have statutory protection, but very often dubious lease clauses, while they may not stand up to statutroy requirement, are a good indicator of an agents or landlords attitude toward their tenant and tenancy. This is a good time to rent so don't feel like you have to accept something you're not happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be wary of signing a lease for a fixed amount of time if you expect to move before then - you will have to find the replacement.

Advertisement