Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display Model Laptop

Options
  • 27-01-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a laptop recently in Click. There was only the display model of the one I wanted left, so I took it. I asked about a discount since it was the display model, but was told that they dont give discounts on display models. I was just wondering now if this is true. Are they not legally obliged to, considering some damage may have happened to it which may not become apparant for some time?

Also, there is a dead pixel at the top of the screen. I'm pretty sure they are legally obliged to fix it, but could I use that to my advantage and try get some of my money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Couldn't you have bought a non-display model somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

You should really try and buy a laptop somewhere else, Click, I find, are very expensive and not very good at dealing with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I bought my old laptop in Cantec and I swore I'd never give them any money ever again. Now a mate of mine reckons Cantec changed their name to Click a few years ago. Trust me, I'm definately kicking myself for having done it now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nothing to do with Click, but on the subject of display model discounts, I was surprised that Currys doesn't give one. My wife saw a cd/radio in the Limerick branch a couple of weeks ago and the salesman told her that it had been on display for about a year and it was the only one in stock. She asked whether there was discount, and he told her no. I asked at the desk for confirmation re this policy and was told that there's nothing wrong with the display items, all in perfect working order, so they don't offer discount.

Would anyone want to be paying the full price for something filled with dust and having buttons and other controls that had been pressed by a few hundred people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Also, there is a dead pixel at the top of the screen. I'm pretty sure they are legally obliged to fix it, but could I use that to my advantage and try get some of my money back?

There is a commonly accepted "tolerance level" set by each manufacturer for dead pixels. I wouldnt expect any comeback for 1 dead pixel.
    Are they not legally obliged to

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

It is the shop's choice wether they want to offer discount on display items, They do not have to sell them off cheaper just because they have been used, but usually after time they decide to to move old stock, otherwise it would be very uncommon for them to offer discount.

At the same time, I would not buy a display model if there was no discount given unless it was at a remarkable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've gotten discounts on an iMac in PC World and an iPod dock in Harvery Norman for display items. Guess you weren't being pushy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A friend of mine got a 50% discount off a tv in Currys because it was a display model without a remote control. He bought it and a universal remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

A friend of mine got a 50% discount off a tv in Currys because it was a display model without a remote control. He bought it and a universal remote.

I always get discount for display models. You need to be very annoying and they give you a discount to make you go away. Works every time.

Advertisement