Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm getting an iPhone... What next?

• 27-01-2009 3:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Getting my iPhone in a few days! I'm wondering if you guys that already have them can tell me any tips tricks or recommendations for things like apps on it etc...
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Zascar wrote: »
    Getting my iPhone in a few days! I'm wondering if you guys that already have them can tell me any tips tricks or recommendations for things like apps on it etc...
    Cheers

1. Jailbreak it, install sbsettings, MXtube, Wildeyes

2. Turn off 3G, Location Services, WiFi and Bluetooth until you need them, to preserve battery life

3. The only app that I really recommend is Eirtext, which lets you use the free webtexts your provider gives you. After that, most of the apps are down to personal tastes and preferences. Personally, I use Easywriter (lets you compase emails using the landscape keyboard), RDP and Winadmin (allows you to remote desktop to a Windows PC) IGN game reviews and the games Solebon and Bejeweled2 more than other apps but no doubt others will slag off my choices. :)

4. Enjoy! The iPhone is not without it's flaws and some of them are quite annoying but for web browsing, multimedia and fun apps, imo nothing comes close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you like radio, try Wunder Radio - it streams loads of different stations both from Ireland and international.

One game I can't put down is Warfare Incorporated - it's like Command & Conquer. I actually missed my stop on the train the other day because of it. :o

There is a Last.fm client available for it - not so hot on EDGE, but perfect on WiFi (probably fine on 3G also). Note, it's not available from the Irish App store, you need to set up a UK iTunes account to get it. Not a big deal, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 l0st

Hey Tom - does Wunder Radio play Funk Myster-T? Love that groovy sound ;)

l0st wrote: »
    Hey Tom - does Wunder Radio play Funk Myster-T? Love that groovy sound ;)

It's Funk Meister-T. And yes, Wunder Radio has taste, so it probably does. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads any suggestions as to what to use to jailbreak it?

I tried Ziphone which seems to be well regarded and easy etc - one lick and 10 seconds... ming hung for ages and would not work at all when I tried it.

Have to use itunes to restore it now :(

Help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I tried Ziphone which seems to be well regarded and easy etc - one lick and 10 seconds... ming hung for ages and would not work at all when I tried it.

Help?
    Try www.iclarified.com , it has all the tutorials and software you'll need

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    There is a Last.fm client available for it - not so hot on EDGE, but perfect on WiFi (probably fine on 3G also). Note, it's not available from the Irish App store, you need to set up a UK iTunes account to get it. Not a big deal, really.

Try finetune instead, does the same thing and can be gotten from the Irish itunes stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

You could also wait for the next iPhone which may come in June -

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/28/next-generation-iphone-model-revealed-in-firmware/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Help?

quickpwn abd then if its the 3g one install yellowsn0w, done my new one yesterday so easy to use had it all done in 5 mins:D another great app is ibeer for freaing out your drunk friends:D

AlanD wrote: »
    You could also wait for the next iPhone which may come in June -

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/28/next-generation-iphone-model-revealed-in-firmware/

Damn you.

Damn you too, Apple.

Oh well, might as well hold off upgrading from my 1st Generation iPhone.

Again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is really annoying. I;ve tried both the Pwnage and the Ziphone and neither work.

any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

1. Train yourself to enjoy the smell of one's own flatulence
    2. Master the "smug" look
    3. Master the perfect technique for removing it from your pocket that says to all around "Yes I have an iPhone, ha ha ha"
    4. Send your soul in an SAE to Steve Jobs

I'm just jealous :D

That may have been the case a year or more ago when they were new and cool but no so much any more really.

But I'm still going to try don't you worry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    1. Train yourself to enjoy the smell of one's own flatulence
    2. Master the "smug" look
    3. Master the perfect technique for removing it from your pocket that says to all around "Yes I have an iPhone, ha ha ha"
    4. Send your soul in an SAE to Steve Jobs

I'm just jealous :D

You couldnt be more correct in your summing up!

I am ashamed to get my iphone out in public.......come on Palm Pre, please be a good phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I still love my Nokia E51 :)

Guys I want to try to jailbreak it again but is there a way to backup the things I have put on it in the meantime?

Phone contacts I assume is easy, What about the 2 email accounts I've put on there? Do I have to reinstall all the apps again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marvinsa

You're getting an iphone - look forward to the slickest phone experience ever - I got one at Christmas, WOW! It does have some flaws, but overall it is without doubt the absolute best phone I have EVER had!! I use it the whole time, primarily for web browsing & whether it's 3G or Wifi, have not had any problems at all. I've heard about Apple products and user friendliness, how once you start using them you'll never go back to a non-Apple alternative, but never understood why until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

i have finally unlocked my phone i now have my meteor sim in it, when i go to connect iphone to itunes on the comp do i have to take my meteor sim out of the phone and put the originial o2 one back in?

thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Guys I want to try to jailbreak it again but is there a way to backup the things I have put on it in the meantime?

Phone contacts I assume is easy, What about the 2 email accounts I've put on there? Do I have to reinstall all the apps again?

There are issues unlocking the 3G iPhone, but there is an app that works but I dont know the name of it. Although it has probably been mentioned already.

Dont forget that jailbreaking your iphone voids the warranty! Dont say no one warned you!

If you manage to jailbreak it, download MXTube.

Advertisement