Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Command Insert

Options
  • 27-01-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

I,m using Visual Studio 2008, its a Windows Application and I'm using C#

I'm trying to insert a new user into a database - they have a username and password.

This is the code that I have done - its running without errors but its not inserting:

private void btnSubmit_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    var vusername = txtUsername.Text.Trim();
    var vpassword = txtPassword.Text.Trim();
    var vconfirmpass = txtConfirmPass.Text.Trim();

if (vpassword == "" )
    {
    MessageBox.Show("You are missing information. Please make sure that both the username and password fields are filled out.", "Missing Info");
    txtUsername.Select();
    return;
    }
    if (vusername == "")
    {
    MessageBox.Show("You are missing information. Please make sure that both the username and password fields are filled out.", "Missing Info");
    txtUsername.Select();
    return;
    }

if (vconfirmpass == "")
    {
    txtUsername.Select();
    return;
    }

SqlConnection con1 = new SqlConnection();
    con1.ConnectionString = "Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=E:\\PROTOTYPE1\\PROTOTYPE\\Users.mdf;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;Asynchronous Processing=true;User Instance=True";

SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("SELECT [Username] From Users WHERE [Username] = '"+ txtUsername.Text.ToString()+"'", con1);
    con1.Open();

SqlDataReader dr = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    if (dr.HasRows)
    {
    MessageBox.Show("Username already exists, please choose another!!", "Information");
    txtUsername.Select();
    dr.Close();
    return;
    }
    else
    dr.Close();
    cmd1 = new SqlCommand("INSERT INTO Users ([Username],[Password]) VALUES('vusername','vpassword')", con1);
    cmd1.ExecuteNonQuery();
    MessageBox.Show("User Added!", "Information");
    con1.Close();
    }

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Can you run a trace on the database (use sql profiler if you have access)? This will let you see the sql as it it is executed on the database, which should let you see where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Check your DB for a user 'vusername' with a password of 'vpassword'.....

Odds are thats your problem right there.

cmd1 = new SqlCommand("INSERT INTO Users ([Username],[Password]) VALUES('" + vusername + "','" + vpassword + "')", con1);

The above should solve it

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Cheers for that - managed to get it working but I'm having a different problem with it now

Its updating the database but not when the program is running - how can I refresh the database while the program is running?

Cheers

doyler442 wrote: »
    Cheers for that - managed to get it working but I'm having a different problem with it now

Its updating the database but not when the program is running - how can I refresh the database while the program is running?

Cheers

What exactly do you mean? Sorry but it does not make much sense to me as you have put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you need to commit? Seems to make sense that when the program is running, data is not there, but when the program ends (and presumably commits), you can see the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Is it cause your not refreshing your screen after you insert. if you have a grid on the screen it will need to be refreshed to see the new data. also not sure if you should have Asynchronous Processing=true; in your connection string. remove that mite be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

nialo wrote: »
    Is it cause your not refreshing your screen after you insert. if you have a grid on the screen it will need to be refreshed to see the new data. also not sure if you should have Asynchronous Processing=true; in your connection string. remove that mite be an idea.

Thanks for this, its not me doing the coding just trying to help my friend out.

Could you let me know how to refresh the screen after the insert?

Really appreciate your help with these problems

If he followed a good coding pratice he should have a function(s) that would populate the screen or its parts. Once you have inserted the new reocrd correctly then just call those functions.

Advertisement