Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera won't work

• 27-01-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

I switched from 3 to O2 and now opera won't work over my wlan on the nokia E65.

I get "failed to connect to internet, bo3 java.io.IOEceception: -5120"

Is there setting i need to change to get it to work on O2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

there should be no difference in getting it to work over the wlan. are you sure you're connecting to the wlan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 redzer_6654

why don't you ask for help on this from one of the moderators on the o2 customer forum. You can find the link to the forum (it's called Talk2O2) in the top navigation of the o2 website.

why don't you ask for help on this from one of the moderators on the o2 customer forum. You can find the link to the forum (it's called Talk2O2) in the top navigation of the o2 website.

to be honest the help he'll get here is just as good as any help he'll get there

his problem doesn't seem to be anything to do with o2 anyway since it's with his own wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

It was working fine before i changed to O2.

Does that error message mean the router is blocking the phone from connecting?

that error means it can't connect to the internet but gives no indication as to why. The sim you have in the phone should make absolutely no difference to your ability to connect to your home wifi, you can even make a wifi connection with no sim in the phone. So again, are you sure you're connecting to the wifi. What exactly are you doing to connect to it?

• Advertisement

I open up opera click on web address, "allow opera to use network"(click yes), "search for wlan"(click select)

It then shows my eircom connection (eircom15XX XXXX ) click select

It then asks for my pre-shared key for wlan, i enter it and then get error message

That's the same process i went through when it was on 3 but now i won't connect

I tried using the pre-installed web browser and it won't connect either says
    Web:
    No Gateway Reply

firstly, this problem is unrelated to having an o2 sim in the phone, i was thinking you might have been accidentally selecting the wrong access point. i think it's just a coincidence that it started happening now unless your new sim is faulty and is somehow affecting the phone (extremely unlikely)

it shouldn't be asking for your key every time, it should be saved and i think you're probably entering it wrong or your router has been reset or something along those lines.

go into tools->settings->connection->access points and tell me if your eircom one is listed

ya the eircom access point is there (i put the key in now so i don't have to do it everytime)

connection
    eircomxxxx xxxx

data bearer
    wireless lan

wlan netw name
    eircomxxxx xxxx

network status
    public

wlan netw. mode
    infrastructure

wlan security mode
    wpa/wpa2

wlan security sett.
    wpa/wpa2
    pre-shared key

pre-shared key

wpa2 only mode
    off

Another question

On the main screen of the phone where it shows signal strenght i have a capital E(used to be 3G when i had 3) under the signal strength

What does the E stand for

• Advertisement

right so check that your router is working properly and that it's not blocking the phone's mac. And try checking the phone with a different router to see if it's gone faulty

The E stands for edge (2.75G) coverage

Thanks Sam i turned off private key protection but it still won't connect

Slingplayer tries for ages to connect but eventually says reg cannot be completed

Is it possible its trying to use an ip that's already taken

How do i check if the router is blocking the phones mac address

you'd have to go into the router configuration from a computer. I'm just heading out right now so can't get into much detail here. You'd probably be best asking in the nets & comms forum for how to set up your router properly

It wouldn't be using an ip assigned to another computer. The router is supposed to assign it one

Ok thanks, funny thing was it was working fine a week ago before i switched to O2.

I did try connection to the wlan in offline mode after 3 canceled my sim and that didn't work either.

Sam would it have anything to do with Packet Data

At the moment it is "When available"

Access point "3Ireland"

Should i set it to wlan somehow

Sam would it have anything to do with Packet Data

At the moment it is "When available"

Access point "3Ireland"

Should i set it to wlan somehow
    no that'd have nothing to do with it. did you check your router config to see if it was blocking the phone?

Will have a look thanks Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

2 questions:
    Is the phone 3-branded?
    Have you tried a 3-sim AFTER you discovered the error with the o2-sim? Maybe a friend can give you a 3 sim card? To try.
    At least you narrow down possible problems.

Advertisement