Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capturing screenshots from DVD?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi folks

I'm trying to capture a screenshot from a movie on DVD, but when I paste it into photoshp I'm just getting an image of a blank screen. What gives?

I'm a novice at this stuff so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

hi,

If you have Windows Media Player, once the DVD is playing you can right-click and go to DVD Features options and then click on Capture Image, or press Ctrl + I when its playing.

Hope that works for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭K0K0

hey susy, cheers for that... I tried ctrl I but it didn't capture anything to the clipboard and the dvd features menu didn't have that option, so no joy unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

K0K0 wrote: »
    Hi folks

I'm trying to capture a screenshot from a movie on DVD, but when I paste it into photoshp I'm just getting an image of a blank screen. What gives?

I'm a novice at this stuff so forgive me if this is a dumb question.
    Just did it here. All you have to do is: With Photoshop open... On the screen that you need, press the print screen button on your keyboard / Then go into photoshop, select the size that you want for your new file. Then just go to Edit/ paste. Trial and error on the size maybe but easy enough to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

If you capture the screen, then you don't need a file open. Once you capture it and make a new photoshop file, photoshop reads the size of the image on the clipboard and inserts the correct dimensions.

What is probably happening is that when you are playing the DVD and you capture the screen. The DVD stops for a split second, and you capture a blank screen.

What you should try is a new way instead of print screen. Get a trial of SnagIT or similar product for doing screen captures. It's quite easy to use and you may get better results than using the built-in screen capturing software.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭K0K0

Deliverance, hey, yes that's what I've been doing and it has worked before with another dvd. But what's happening with this one is, say I have the movie playing in a media player window, I press print screen and what I get when I paste it into a photoshop file is a normal screenshot with the media player window but just a black square where the scene from the movie should be. This happens whether the movie is paused or playing when I hit print screen. If the movie is paused and I have the photoshop window open above it, then I can see a portion of the paused screen image through the blank square in the pasted layer as if the layer is a mask. So you can move the layer around and see different portions of the paused image in media player "through" photoshop. Don't know how well I explained that but I gave it a shot!

I'd been thinking it was some kind of copy protection feature or something.

Hank_Scorpio, I'll defo check out SnagIT, thanks a mil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 thepotrovk

there is a free programe called fastcapture, is the best around for all that

Advertisement