Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Aerial - Landlord or Tenant Responsibility?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Is it the landlord or the tenant who are responsible for supplying a tv aerial to rented accommodation?

Does it make any difference if its an apartment or a free standing house??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If an apartment, I doubt a tv aerial would be permitted. Management COmpany regulations. I know where I live, to get the Irish channels, I have to go with a cable company, as don't get them otherwise. I would assume it would be up to the tenant otherwise, as is not seen as a necessity, however you would need to get permission from the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends on the lease I think: there is very little that a landlord has to provide (possibly a stove). However in this country many of them choose to provide extensive furniture and appliances, so may well choose to provide a TV aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

But are they legally entitled to???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

AFAIK, no, the landlord does not have to supply an aerial. A tv is a luxury, and not seen as essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does the property come with a TV? If not, then I wouldn't consider it obligatory. I would suggest however, that within reason the landlord should allow the tenant fit their own aerial or get cable TV. There may be planning issues with satellite dishes.

If a TV is provided, I would expect that it come with an aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

No matter what the situation I can't see any reason what so ever that a landlord need provider an aerial. Even if they provide a TV. It should be considered much the same as a TV licence. Nothing to do with the landlord what so ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dlambirl wrote: »
    But are they legally entitled to???

Legally entitled to supply an aerial- certainly, they are entitled to- if they so choose, but they have no obligation whatsoever in this respect.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

thats great guys.......a mate is gonna rent his house next month
    Thanks for the advice

Advertisement