Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog issue

Options
  • 27-01-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

A friend of ours had to leave the country last fri on short notice for a work thingy. He has a german shepperd and does not know when he will be back so myself and my housemate are going to babysit the dog untill we can find suitable accomodation. We went to pick up the dog today but could not get him into the car. He is a very frightened dog as he was left outside over the weekend as the person my friend asked to look after the dog has done sweet FA about it. We left the dog back in friends yard with food and water but it is obvious that she/he needs a bit of tlc. So ay suggestions on how to get the dog in the car. The dog wont budge at all once the car door is open. Any help would be apreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

With an owner like that this poor dog needs all the help it can get. Either devote the time & patience necessary to win it's trust & with a little encouragement like tasty treats get it in the car or call a charity like the ISPCA who will know how to handle it. Oh & get them to send the bill to the owner.

I used to live in England & if this happened there this owner would be in serious grief.

I appreciate that you have been "landed" with the problem but now you must take responsibility for a poor dog who has done nothing wrong. Prove to the dog that it can trust you & it just might.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

in fairness the owner(my friend) does look after the dog well although ya wouldn think so from my prev txt. we tried today to get him in the car with treats etc but nothing seems to work. He seems very nervous. my housemate has loads of exp with dogs and wants to look after it as it seems our friend(dogs owner) wont be back for some time cause of the work commitments. We dont want to call the ISPCA either as we know that my housemate can look after the dog and he would be afraid the dog could end up somewhere it doesnt want to be. We are going back tomorow to take it for a walk and try and convince him/her that w mean no harm. fingers crossed abd cheers for the reply. will let y know how we get on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The dog really needs to be with you for a few hours, maybe even days, for you to wins it trust. It's going to be very confused and unsure of itself. I would suggest getting a soft muzzle (for your own safety) and a harness. Bring the dog for a loooooong walk (without the muzzle if it's not needed) make sure he's very tired, then when you get back to the house, put the muzzle on and climb into the back of the car and simply "insist" the dog follow you. Through gentle pulling and loads of praise, every tiny step forward should get an enthuastic - GOOD DOG.

Don't feed the dog before you go out with him, and then have something very tasty ready to give him when you do finally get him into the car. This might seem to be a bit mean (pulling the dog I mean) but really, he needs to be somewhere safe where people like you and your flat mate can look after him.

When you get him back to your place make sure there is loads of TLC, if the dog wants it, but at the same time, make sure not to crowd him. A bed in a quiet corner, where the dog can come to you as he feels like it would be ideal.

Good luck.

*I am not a dog trainer, this is just a suggestion, people will probably have better ones*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We had this problem with our rescued collie when we moved house last year. She has been so traumatised that if you try to make her go where she does not want to, she freezes and glues herself to the ground. All the patience in the world will not avail when so much damage has been done. She cut her paw once and every time I bathed it she would freeze.

I cannot lift her; she is far too heavy for me.

Finally we gave her a mild sedative and someone literally lifted her into the back of the car for me. She was fine all the way there....

Unlike the other dog who leaps into the car and bounces around the whole time:)
    It is not a thing we did lightly; but sometimes if a dog is so badly affected, these things are necessary, as a one-off. Less stressful for all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

glad to report tht after several long walks and lots of tlc we finally got her on the car and out to the house. Hurrah

Thanks for all the helps folks

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Thank you for the update; that is so good to hear.

Blessings. Well done:)

frag420 wrote: »
    glad to report tht after several long walks and lots of tlc we finally got her on the car and out to the house. Hurrah

Thanks for all the helps folks

cheers

Advertisement