Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Title/Pay Question

Options
  • 27-01-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I know considering the current economic crisis, this might seem insignificant but here it goes:

I started working for my current employer 8 months ago - a large multi-national.
    The job spec I was given prior to the interview was for the assistant manger role for one of the sites. That was the job I interviewed for & that was the job I accepted.

On my first day, I was met by the boss. The boss asked me what job I had been hired for (fair enough, a month since I had been hired so he/she might not have remembered) & I replied "Assistant Manager".

The reply I received was "Oh we don't actually have any assistant manager roles so you are going to be the manager".

Now I know what you are thinking: not bad to get a promotion in your first hour on the job! But my issue is as follows:

On everything but paper I am the manager. I am 3rd down on the chain of command from the MD for this company in Ireland.

The payscale for the position I applied for is for the Assistant Manager. My contract says Assistant Manager.

I actually asked my boss a few months ago if this was done because they needed a manager but just didn't want to pay for one & he didn't disagree but just said that they would re-evaluate my salary soon.

Since then I have asked my boss for a change of contract several times (not even necessarily a pay rise as I am only in the job a while) as the job I am doing is not the job I was contracted for & he has agreed but then doesn't do anything.

Now my boss is leaving & all I have is a verbal agreement & nothing in paper.

Last week I sent an email to my boss saying "You remember you agreed to X, Y & Z, can this be sorted before you finish" just to have a written record of what I have been asking for verbally for months.

Can anyone advise where I stand with this? I know that your job is not based solely on the duties in your contract & that duties can be added from time to time but where do I stand if I was hired for one job but from the first day I am told to do a completely different much senior job???

Any advice please?

Advertisement