Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Connection Woes

• 27-01-2009 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice from the gurus! :)

At home we have a couple of laptops connected wireless to a BT Voyager router - no problems there. We've just got an Asus netbook and I cant get it to connect to the internet - I left all the settings as standard(i.e. automatically assign an ip address) and the result is "limited or no connectivity" so instead I've assigned it an ip address. Ive copied the settings exactly from another computer Ive done this on(just change the last bit of the ip address obviously) and now it connects to the network no problem but no webpages will load. I've turned off the firewall on the netbook and theres nothing on the router that would cause that. Ive tried a few things - changing ip addresses,"renewing" it(that magic trick has worked in the past for a different computer-no idea what it does :) ) and various other things. Ive tried pinging an ip address(to see if it was just the address wouldnt resolve to ip addresses) but that didnt work(timeout). Any ideas?

As an aside, any idea how to make the "things"(icons,text etc.) bigger on the screen? its a gift for our mum. :) I did reduce the resolution which had that effect but is that the best option? :D

As always help is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Increase the dpi setting to increase icon size (Advanced options in Display Settings) . You can increase font size under Appearance tab .

Will the laptop connect to internet when wired to the network ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Thanks Nessyguin.

Yep I just tested it now and when its wired in to the network the internet works grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

cianr wrote: »

Yep I just tested it now and when its wired in to the network the internet works grand.

Are you using wireless encryption (WEP or WPA etc ) ? If so , wire one of the non-problem laptops to and log in to the router . Disable encryption . Can the problem laptop connect now ? Also what OS are all the laptops running ?

Other OS's include 2 XP's,1 Vista and a couple of Nokia phones - all that have had no problems browsing the web. Im sure its some setting on the Netbook(which is an Asus, running XP).

I think theres WEP on the router but cant find the setting to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Sounds like a wireless zero configuration problem. Asus ship their machines with software that monitors and controls access to wireless networks. This is conflicting with Windows. The solution is to find it and turn it off. Finding it is the problem, Im not familiar with these laptops so cant tell you how to turn it off.

I can tell you how to turn off Windows wireless zero configuration. This will allow the Asus software to have full control over the wireless management.

To do this, follow the instructions below

Start -> Run

Type in services.msc and hit enter.

Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and double click it.

You now have the option to Stop the service.

Nw try connecting and you should be ok.

• Advertisement

Diver,

Many thanks for your suggestion! Just tested it now but it was a no-go. It said that windows wasn't able to configure any wireless network - will play around with it some more tomorrow,cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

That makes sense, Windows wont be able to do anything with the wireless network once you turn off WZC service. You need to find the ASUS application that controls the wireless and connect using that. It should be called something like ASUS Network/WLAN management or sonmething similiar.

First of all,sorry for the long time to reply but I'm away with work at the moment and only have access to the netbook when at home.

I disabled the WZC but couldn't find any Asus software to manage the connection.

I've checked the settings on the router(as I say it works with all other computers,xbox,mobile phones etc.) - the only thing is the option for Wireless Protocol: from memory its 'B' or 'G' or 'Auto' and it set to auto. The Netbook is Wireless 'N' - is this a big problem? :o As I say it seems to connect ok to the router but it has "limited connectivity" and can't resolve any webpages. Maybe I need a new router . . . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I wouldn't say you need a new router. N is the new standard but it should still work with older B and G types. It's like HDTV saying HD ready when you can have different settings from 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

I'm actually have a similar problem to yours. I have a PC, laptop, 360 and a PS3 all connected to my wireless router and they all worked fine, left all settings as standard etc.

My PC was sent off to get a new cooling fan fitted as it was over heating. Got it back last week and it won't connect to my network anymore. I get the limited or no connectivity message. I use the repair connection option and it says cannot renew IP address.

I am with Magnet so I have a dynamic IP and WEP is always on and I cannot turn it off. I have reset my router and called Magnet for support they couldn't help as the problem did not seem to be related to them but they suggested what was suggested here that there is a conflict of some sort on my PC. How it happened I don't know and I have been trying for days to sort out and can't.

My laptop and the two consoles can connect just fine but my PC has decided all by itself that it won't anymore. I have asked a few people and rang a few support lines and noone can figure it out.

I know where your comming from OP, hope you get it sorted.

And when you do let me know:D.

Hehe! :) Will do CC!

After a Google I found a *possible* solution to the "Limited or no..." warning - and that was to go into the settings and untick the box for that warning. Thats it! Supposedly it had worked for a few people - i.e. when it didn't warn you about the limited connectivity it actually worked fine! :D (Didnt work for me tho!).

Strange about it not being able to renew - maybe you can try typing "ipconfig /renew" or "/release" - not sure if that will help you . . .

Good luck!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement