Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the Most Naturally Talented Player?

• 27-01-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

The most naturally talented player in my view is Barney. Taylor is the best player but not the most naturally talented in my view.

Who do you think is the most naturally talented player/s?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Barney would definitely be up there but I think the most naturally gifted players are the fast throwers like Adrian Lewis, Jelle Klaasen and Michael Van Gerwen. They require no thought or anything, they just step up to the board and throw. It's all natural. Damn them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

For me its Wade, and its the reason why im a big fan of him, he is the only player who seemed to give taylor a game this year. he had a terrible world championship but made the semi somehow. just shows the talent he has

as a fellow Citeog i hope he pushes on next year so that there will be 2 people giving taylor a good game this year, because if wade plays well, he can average just as high as taylor, barneys yet to hit those heights but undoubtably he can with a little more application and less of his manager filling him with stats and the likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I would say Lewis and by a long way, all he has to do now is not rely on that natural ability and put in more hours. I played agianst him when Taylor was mentoring him and he was unbelivable. I missed a 12 dart outshot and he took out 161 for a 12 for himself, didn't even blink, but was a really nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Barney would definitely be up there but I think the most naturally gifted players are the fast throwers like Adrian Lewis, Jelle Klaasen and Michael Van Gerwen. They require no thought or anything, they just step up to the board and throw. It's all natural. Damn them! :)

This is the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Kingp35 wrote: »
    This is the answer.

Add Ronnie Baxter in there..........extremely natural gifted player and lighting quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

From all the players I've seen live, gotta be Lewis. He played an exhibition here in the bar and was incredible without ever looking like he was even concentrating. The darts hit wherever he was looking, simple as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

Wade is a serious talent, bit too quick to let it slip when he has a bad set or two...

For me though it's lewis or ronnie baxter, probably a small bit late now for ronnie to capture that long awaited tv title but a serious player, when he's on he's ON...

Remember the 180 lewis threw when he looked away for the 3rd dart..? That was crackin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

ratinakeg wrote: »
    The most naturally talented player in my view is Barney. Taylor is the best player but not the most naturally talented in my view.

Who do you think is the most naturally talented player/s?

I am not sure how you can say that the greatest dart thrower of all time is not the most naturally gifted dart thrower. It is almost unfathomable what Phil Taylor has done in his career, and he seems to be getting better with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

I am not sure how you can say that the greatest dart thrower of all time is not the most naturally gifted dart thrower. It is almost unfathomable what Phil Taylor has done in his career, and he seems to be getting better with age.

Yes he's the greatest player ever, That's agreed but he was not always the great player he is.

Extract taken from another darts forum;
    Just got to the chapter in Eric Bristows book where he is saying about how he taught taylor everything he knows and sponsored him and what not. I knew that bit i never actually thought taylor was crap and was getting knocked out of tournaments in the first round all the time. Obvious when you think of it i suppose but strange to know...

Here is another taken from the same forum;
    yes i read that aswell. Taylor seemed a slow learner. thats why i dont think he is a natural because it took him so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

I would have to say either michael van gerwen or jelle klassan. both have won major tournament at a young age, van gerwen won his first major when he was 15 and klassan is the youngest BDO champion, you don't do that without some natural talent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Gary anderson for me the guy doesnt even practice:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

LOL about Anderson, sure what about Ted Hankey, instead of practicing for hours he practices pints. Have to agree, currently Lewis, Wade was crap for a good while and just put huge practice into it. All the quick throwers seem to have the natural ability, Klassen, Van Gerwen & Baxter would all have huge natural talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Barney is by a country mile the best natural thrower, his consisitency and titles won put him head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Barney is by a country mile the best natural thrower, his consisitency and titles won put him head and shoulders above the rest.

don't see this tbh, taylor has been as consistent as anyone over many many years and has won more titles than any ever has or will.

a lewis has all the talent, just his head gets in the way - i would argue he has more natural talent than barney, it's just barney can keep cool under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

don't see this tbh, taylor has been as consistent as anyone over many many years and has won more titles than any ever has or will.

a lewis has all the talent, just his head gets in the way - i would argue he has more natural talent than barney, it's just barney can keep cool under pressure.

Taylor is not a natural thrower and he practices like no other player out there to be were he is, undoubtedly the greatest player ever but not a natural.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Taylor is not a natural thrower and he practices like no other player out there to be were he is, undoubtedly the greatest player ever but not a natural.

Agree with this. Taylor is who he is because of the serious amount of practice and work he puts in. No other player comes close. Obviously he had to have some kind of natural ability but he built on that with hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Juwwi

for me its co stompe

he looks such a natural :)

Advertisement