Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slowest possible "safe " landing speed

• 27-01-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

What is the slowest possible safe landing speed of any commercial people carrying variant of a boeing 737?

Having debate with guy in work.

Proof would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Bit vague there man.

need to build in weight/wind speed/direction/runway length/trim/visibility.

Throw out a speed and give us a ballpark figure to either shoot down or endorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

As flutterin' says it depends on a lot of factors. Standard landing you're talking between 130 and 150 knots.

Have a look at this: http://freechecklists.net/simchecklists.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ok well i am talking slowest possible as in if the runway was infinity long and the the plane was fully loaded with feul and passengers with no wind.

slowest ideal landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Ideally, fully loaded and no wind, I'd say 145-155 knots. they can do it at <120 knots if its light and wind suits them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Trim, runway length have nothing to do with it. Largely depends on weight of aircraft and the wind. Usually, +5 kts for gusty conditions.

An averagely loaded B738 lands with a VREF flap 30 of about 144kts.

A lightly loaded 733 could land with a VREF flap 30 as low as 115 knots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

A 40t 737-NG can fly at less than 116kts with 40 degree of flap and gear down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Was wondering why Trim would be a factor but it's not I imagine as the Aircraft would be Auto trimmed anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

1.3 times the stall speed in landing configuration.

ok what is the stall speed.

what is the slowest speed achievable with ideal slow speed conditions ( trim , wind speed, weight etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I don't think Trim has anything to do with it lads

• Advertisement

Trim, runway length have nothing to do with it. Largely depends on weight of aircraft and the wind. Usually, +5 kts for gusty conditions.

Runway length has nothing to do with it!!!

So it doesn't matter if the runway is only 100 yds long??

C'mon man:pac:

Steyr wrote: »
    Was wondering why Trim would be a factor but it's not I imagine as the Aircraft would be Auto trimmed anyway?

Would have very very little to do with it,but the op did ask what the ABSOLUTE slowest speed would be, not the idea,l and in that context it would be a very minor factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I guess the airline makes a difference. Ryanair seem to come in at 500 knots, throw an anchor out the window to slow down, do a handbrake turn on the exit before dumping passengers 200 yards from civilisation!!

C'mon man:pac:

The aircraft has a minimum requirement of runway length to perform the landing, and it's given that this requirement is satisfied if the aircraft executes an approach to that runway. Consequentially, runway length isn't taken into account when calculation the VRef landing speed

I understand that man, however that was not the OPs question.

I understand that man, however that was not the OPs question.

I believe his question has been answered. Was directly responding to your comment about the rwy being only 100 yards and not affecting landing speed.

Guys ,lets just stick to the question asked, lets not make up our own thread right:confused:

Guys ,lets just stick to the question asked, lets not make up our own thread right:confused:

I haven't digressed from the topic of the post. Perhaps you shouldn't comment on something if you're not prepared for it to be replied to.

John_Mc wrote: »
    The aircraft has a minimum requirement of runway length to perform the landing, and it's given that this requirement is satisfied if the aircraft executes an approach to that runway. Consequentially, runway length isn't taken into account when calculation the VRef landing speed

This is not relevant to the question asked.
    I haven't digressed from the topic of the post. Perhaps you shouldn't comment on something if you're not prepared for it to be replied to.

This is not relevant to the question asked.

Ok, I can see that you're a bit simple or confused here so I'll try to be as clear as I can.

My comment, which you so helpfully quoted, was in direct response to your comment:

C'mon man :pac:

In my response, I also quoted the comment I was replying to so it's obvious what I was talking about :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ok well i seem to have sparked an argument here.

i will clarify the question.

i want to know the slowest any passenger variant of the 737 can land at.

runway lenght is irrelevant ....

but if you say it will land at 100 knots you can then say this is possible with a certain weight and wind speed.

so assuming all factors were in favour of the slowest possible landing .....

what is the speed?

Ok, I can see that you're a bit simple or confused here so I'll try to be as clear as I can.

My comment, which you so helpfully quoted, was in direct response to your comment:

In my response, I also quoted the comment I was replying to so it's obvious what I was talking about :rolleyes:

Comments like that won't get you anywhere here.

Comments like that won't get you anywhere here.

Eh, and where would one try to be going when posting on a public message board? You strike me as a very strange character indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

darragh-k wrote: »
    Ideally, fully loaded and no wind, I'd say 145-155 knots. they can do it at <120 knots if its light and wind suits them

A 40t 737-NG can fly at less than 116kts with 40 degree of flap and gear down.

Martron, you got three fairly consistent answers to your question within the first few posts. What exactly are you looking for here? Did you bet with your mate down to the nearest 0.001 knots? On a light plane with full flaps and neutral wind conditions your pushing your luck below 110 knots.

I'm not over concerned to be honest, but try that stunt again and the post will be reported.

I'm not over concerned to be honest, but try that stunt again and the post will be reported.

Report me for what exactly? Go ahead, report it and we'll let the Mods deal with it. They'll hardly be impressed with you wasting their time with bogus complaints, and threatening to report posts on people. :rolleyes:

As you requested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ok, I can see that you're a bit simple or confused

John, another Personal Insult, and it'll be a week's vacation from the Forum.

And to the rest of you, if you can't have a debate without making it personal, then just don't have the debate. This is ordinarily a brilliant forum to be a Mod of, because most people here are excellent contributors. Hopefully it'll stay that way :)

ned78 wrote: »
    John, another Personal Insult, and it'll be a week's vacation from the Forum.

And to the rest of you, if you can't have a debate without making it personal, then just don't have the debate. This is ordinarily a brilliant forum to be a Mod of, because most people here are excellent contributors. Hopefully it'll stay that way :)

It wasn't an insult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It was, and you've been warned. Now don't take it to heart, it's only an Internet Forum ... enjoy the debate, but keep it professional. That's what we're all here for at the end of the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement