Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xperia X1

• 27-01-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    So after some pondering I finally got my X1 yesterday. Have been playing around with it for less than 24 hours, but so far so good. Ive managed to crash it once, but thats cause I was running multiple programs at the same time. My e65 did the same. Windows Mobile 6.1, whilst not the best operating system, is doing the job so far. Ive customised it a fair amount, and installed a good few apps on it. I like the whole "panel" idea. Screen could be a bit bigger, but again, its around twice the overall size of my e65's screen. So after 24 hours Im enjoying the handset.

Pros
    QWERTY keyboard.
    Great Browser
    Personalisation of the whole menu system
    Endless functions available

Cons
    Speakers are fairly shite for playing music.
    Alot of the apps available, cannot be downloaded in Ireland :mad:
    Delays in removing popups (but with tweaking software, have this removed)
    Start up is a little bit slow

Ill post up more as I use it. If ye want to ask me anything about it, ask away!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

antodeco wrote: »
    Hey all,
    So after some pondering I finally got my X1 yesterday. Have been playing around with it for less than 24 hours, but so far so good. Ive managed to crash it once, but thats cause I was running multiple programs at the same time. My e65 did the same. Windows Mobile 6.1, whilst not the best operating system, is doing the job so far. Ive customised it a fair amount, and installed a good few apps on it. I like the whole "panel" idea. Screen could be a bit bigger, but again, its around twice the overall size of my e65's screen. So after 24 hours Im enjoying the handset.

Pros
    QWERTY keyboard.
    Great Browser

Cons

Congrats. Where'd you get it and what's the production week?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Got it for €370 from the north (ebay is a great friend :))

Still tweaking it at the moment. Getting SDK developer to completely tweak it and personalise it. Enjoying it so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I read the reviews and the phone is a little slow/unresponsive?

how would it compare to the n95 for eg?

I do <3 the look of the x1 and was really tempted but the delays in getting it out and the less than stellar reviews put me off :(

bare in mind I dont use the phone for music [mp3 player works fine!] and the camera is rarely used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

New ROM available for that phone apparently, might give some improvements:

http://www.mobilehornet.com/archives/2084

I think I have newest ROM. Connected it up anyway, and it said I did!

I downloaded an Advanced Configuration Tools app to it, and tweaked some of the settings. Removed some of the pop-ups, which used to hang the phone for 2 or 3 settings. Im still overloading it every now and again, but I have been doing alot of app installations so may have caused it. Im still loving the device, getting addicted to it. Have it setup with blackberry and ota calendar sync. New panel put on today, which gives it a more "phone like" menu system. Ive done a huge amount of browsing and downloaded on it, plus on messenger a fair amount. Hasnt as such let me down, but the battery life is fairly muck (1 day out of the charge, but I do have it connected to the internet for around 10 hours of the day). Im still messing around with it, but so far so good. Plus the fact I got it for a lot less that RRP, I cant complain :)

EDIT: Dont have the latest ROM. Battery too low to update it at the min, shall do it later! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Hey all,

Pros
    QWERTY keyboard.
    Great Browser

Cons

What do you mean by "a lot of the apps are not downloadable in Ireland." :)

I thought WM apps were available anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I've been using my X1 for the past few weeks and love it. I'm using a custom rom and a lot of applications available from XDA Developers which has made the experience more enjoyable than using the default rom. I’ve only experienced a few crashes over this time, but this is more so down to certain applications than the handset itself.

For the poster above who mentioned lacklustre reviews, I would say that the handset is great for those who are aware of what using a Windows Mobile handset entails i.e. customisation, and is one of the best, if not the best, handsets I’ve had the pleasure to own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Have any of the owners seen any of the problems relating to build quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Just on this, it's a phone, not a sound system.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Just on this, it's a phone, not a sound system.
    Of course, but im comparison to my K810, E65, N95 its no where near. i used to play youtube vids on them but I cant really on the X1 without headphones.

• Advertisement

have you tried the wm 6.5 beta2 rom?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=475541

scratch that - WM 6.5 announced today.

I assume the x1 can be flashed to it?

kaimera wrote: »
    scratch that - WM 6.5 announced today.

I assume the x1 can be flashed to it?

According to Microsoft, no handset currently on the market will be eligible for an official upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5. The only devices I've heard that will officially support Windows Mobile 6.5 will be the HTC Touch Diamond 2 and the HTC Touch Pro 2.

Have any of the owners seen any of the problems relating to build quality?

I've had no issues with regard to build quality, however, you should read this site for issues some users have experienced with the styles sillo. The stylus silo on my silver X1i is completely fine, but I hardly ever use the stylus so take from that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Microsoft are insisting that all devices with WM 6.5 have a physical windows key on them. So, I wouldn't expect this to officially come to any older Winmo phone.

Advertisement