Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC V Sunderland AFC , Thomond Park, July

Options
  • 27-01-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Just been confirmed that Limerick will play Sunderland in July in Thomond Park.

Also likely that Villa will come here to play and possible even Real Madrid!
    Published Date:
    27 January 2009
    By Jerome O'Connell
    THE Premier League's Sunderland are Limerick bound - the English club are to play a friendly against Limerick FC in July at Thomond Park.
    Limerick FC CEO Andrew Mawhinney confirmed to Leader Sport that the details of the hugely attractive tie have been agreed with Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn.
    Earlier this month Mawhinney and fellow Limerick FC officials Michael O'Sullivan and Paul O'Riordan travelled to Sunderland to finalise details of the visit.
    The Super Blues are also in talks with Aston Villa and Celtic about potential visits to Shannonside.
    "We went over last week and spoke with Niall Quinn and everything is agreed - we have no exact date, but it will be in the last two weeks of July," confirmed Andrew Mawhinney.
    "Niall was very supportive and thinks that Sunderland and Limerick have a lot in common. We hope to be able to work with them on a couple of other areas as well," explained the Limerick FC CEO.
    "This will be a big event for the city - we would hope to keep the ticket prices low because we want to give as many people as possible the chance to see the game. This is just a once-off game, but it will be great to boost the profile of the club and to help with our finances."
    While Niall Quinn confirmed details of the Black Cats visit yesterday morning, Limerick FC are still negotiating another high-profile friendly game.
    "We met with Martin O'Neill and he was extremely supportive, but we have still to go over some details," said Mawhinney.
    "Any soccer match in Thomond Park needs to be sanctioned by the FAI - we have worked very closely with them and the game will be given their consent.
    "We are delighted to be bringing the first soccer match to Thomond Park," said the Limerick FC CEO.
    Limerick FC hope to be in a position to finalise tickets sales by early March.
    The presence of Adare man Charlie Chawke among the Sunderland shareholders has no doubt helped in their decision to accept the Limerick FC invite.
    Another Limerick man that will be happy to see the Black Cats arrive in Limerick is current Carew Park manager, Tommy Lynch. Lynch made a number of appearances for Sunderland in the 1988-89 season before making almost 250 appearances for Shrewsbury Town.
    Meanwhile rumours are rife that Real Madrid could also be on their way to Thomond Park. It is understood that an events management company are involved in talks that would finally see the Spanish giants play in the city.
    Back in September 1980 Limerick opted to play in Lansdowne Road when the sides clashed in the European Cup.
    Des Kennedy scored in boths legs as Real Madrid won 2-1 in Dublin and then 5-1 in the Bernabeu.
    Thomond Park could also be set to host an international soccer friendly in August. It is understood that Giovanni Trapattoni wants the FAI to arrange a friendly prior to the September 5 visit to Cyprus for a vital World Cup qualifier. With Lansdowne Road still under construction and Croke Park ruled out because of the later stages of the All-Ireland championships the FAI have looked at the possibility of staging the proposed August 12 fixture in Limerick.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/Limerick-sign-Sunderland.4916034.jp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is great news!
    I would really like to see Villa come.

and Man U eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

oh dear, just watch the fickle irish people not turn up now that roy's gone.
    fair play to limerick fc tho, i'll attend all the matches.

it'd be great to see the FAI play in august, although i fear limerick people will begrudge them the oppurtunity. I recently did a few voxpos, asking limerick people what they thought the football teams chances were of qualifying for the world cup, most looked at me like i had ten heads, said they didnt care about football, i should ask them about rugby, i asked them how did they think the limerick clubs were doing in the AIL - blank faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

RINO87 wrote: »
    oh dear, just watch the fickle irish people not turn up now that roy's gone.
    fair play to limerick fc tho, i'll attend all the matches.

i asked them how did they think the limerick clubs were doing in the AIL - blank faces.

Yeah shocking the amount of Keano fans, supported sunderland! :mad:

And good man asking them about the AIL :D

Advertisement