Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to connect router to Phone Line in Attic

Options
  • 27-01-2009 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance on this subject. We have eircoms 3mg broadband. We have the normal netopia router connected to the secondary phone line in my room beside the computer. However the fact that it is the secondary line means it is basically only giving us less than half what we should be getting in terms of performance. We would connect it to the primary phone line f course. Only problem is the primary line is up in the attic and at the other side of the house. Only really noticed how slow it was when I started playing my PS3 online.

So should I put a wireless router up there in the attic (and if so which one) or should I just get a long phone line to connect it down to the router in my room?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

recently bought a 50ft telephone line on a reel in dunnes. about 12 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Dont stick electronics up in the attic, its not a suitable environment. Surely the Netopia router you have already is wireless? What do you mean by The primary line?? Does it go anywhere, or is there some sort of a splitter in the attic? Also, how do you know you are not getting the full performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Thanks limericklad!! That would do the job! But how does it work off the reel?

JDxtra - The netopia router needs to be connected to the phone connection via a phone line and also to a socket for the power and the PC via the yellow ethrtnet cable. Im not sure what the wireless router does differently. Suppose the phone line wont look great but it will do the job. Well the primary line is for our main fixed phone. We got a new line in the front room for the chordless phone and also in my room for the broadband. When ringing up Eircom to get help on fixing a problem we had with our broadband he noted on the system that our broadband was running off a secondary phone line and is running at about 1/3rd of its maximum power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Why not just buy a USB wireless device for the PC in your room?

The Netopia router is wireless, so if your primary phone line is terminated near a power socket in another room then just move it AND your cordless phone here. Your PC and PS3 can then both connect wirelessly to the router.

I see no reason for the second line at all, especially if you are using a cordless phone. Running another line from your main line in the attic does not make sense - isn't this what your "secondary line" already is?

Bad internal wiring inside a house can result in lower connection speeds. In this situation it's better to connect the router directly to your main line, and maybe have the secondary line disconnected if you think it's not functioning correctly. Eircom will not support your internal wiring by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

i recently bought a wireless router from pc world and still can't get it working.

my existing netopia router is not wireless so when i fancy playing the ps3 online i bring the modem downstairs and then run the phone line from the kitchen in to the sitting room via the reel.

its the same structure as an electrical extension chord( http://www.hktdc.com/sourcing/product_searchresult.htm?locale=en&bookmark=true&query=extension+cord)

its got two phone sockets in the centre, the same way an electric one would have two electric sockets and instead of unwinding a a plug. its got a thae standard telephone clip thingy thats goes onto the phone socket. works a treat for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

No sockets up in the attic so looks like it will have to be the ugly long cable option. Which Dunnes did you get the reel Limerick lad. Can remember ever seeing it around Dundalk. Longest I can find on ebay is 15m!

Advertisement