Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 - 01 Opel Astra Hatchback

• 27-01-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all

I was thinking of buying a 99 - 01 Opel Astra Hatchback. I was just wondering what i should be looking out for if I buy one of these cars.
    Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The definitive list of things to look out for, from Astra owners themselves:

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=101736

Had one myself, was a decent car but would not go back and get another one. Think it was just mine but seemed to have one problem after another every other month before the engine seized up on me - this was an 01 with only 80k on the clock. Oil warning light came up and 30 seconds later it was dead in the hard shoulder never to see life again! (my own fault for letting the oil get so low but by the time the light came on the car was already dead) If you get it at a decent price go for it, just remember to put oil in it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,284 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The two most important things I can think of with regards the 1.4 litre Astra of that era are:

1. Head gasket - regularly known to blow on the 1.4 litre engine so make sure your mechanic examins it prior to buying.

2. Timing Belt - make sure it has been changed on schedule as per manufacturers schedule - I think it is every 40k miles on the Astra.

Other than that I think they are a pretty solid car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

Use to have a 99 model, put 100K miles on it and never had a spot of bother with it.....great car I thought, comfortable and solid too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Headgaskets (cough cough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

early 98/00 astras gave h/gasket problems opel made slight changes in engine mid 2000 onwards and not as much trouble with h/gasket since.timing belt interval is 36to40k and should always have waterpump done not as expensive as you might think.lovely car to drive avoid private sales unless full nct and proof of service history loads of these around in garages prepared for sale with warranty(t-belt done etc.)for decent money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

i have a 99 Astra now with 100k on the clock - will be selling it as soon as i can - need to get a family car now. Head gasket went @ 90k (water pump went first). Timing belt done 4k ago. Wiper motor failed too.

Apart from that, no problems. Very nifyt car and will miss it when its gone. Will probably be tough to sell it in current market, but 2K ono will secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have a 01 1.6....very comfortable and solid. You could probably pick up a lowish mileage 01 for less than €3.5k. IMO the hatch is a much better looking car, but the loss of boot space over the saloon is significant. (i.e golf clubs are a squeeze)

Advertisement