Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charity Event | Trip Around Ireland?

• 27-01-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

ok,

I'm posting here about a charity drive around Ireland I would like to organise. My father recently died of Cancer after getting the all clear ten years ago and we had a tough year once he was diagnosed with it a year ago.

He done so much for me during his life and I never got to repay him back so I've had it in my head to organise a charity drive around Ireland with all proceeds going to the palliative care units of Ireland and Cancer research.

Thing is its just an idea in my head right now but it is something I want to do, I wont have time until the summer but I thought it would be an idea to get some contacts and some opinions on it now.

I realise that most people would prefer to do a modball style thing and go abroad for something like this but that's not what this is about so please dont suggest that.

The skeletal outline i have in my head is something as follows:

Friday - midday start
    Meet at meeting point, sort out registrations and information packs etc..
    Then drive somewhere with a decent spin
    maybe fit in location picture taking
    settle down somewhere that might have a decent nightlife on a friday night

Saturday - early start
    Get breakfast
    Drive to a go karting/paintballing venue and best most of the day there
    sort out some evening activities / dinner
    Drive on to our next stop over and organise night activities

Sunday - early start
    Get breakfast
    Maybe organise some on track time or something for this day, needs more looking into it
    Or maybe just have a location to finish the drive where we can get food, and just relax and chat, maybe give out prizes or something.

I was wondering how many would actually be genuinely interested in doing something like this?

How much would you be willing to pay?

Would you be willing to volunteer to help out in anyway?

Is there anything you think you could help out with?

I need to get contacts for the following things:

Stickers made up for the event to show cars that are taking part.
    printing of information packs
    locations needed for the meeting points
    Hotels/Hostels/ whatever needed for the stay overs
    Companies willing to hand over some free stuff for the prizes
    Someone to help me take care of activities
    People as stewards to help direct people and stop people from messing
    Sponsorship

And I'm sure there's much more that needs to be thought about, as I said I thought I'd through it up to see what people think of it, reactions, ideas and hopefully get some contacts.

So cheers for reading the big long post and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes, this is a good idea. Raising money for a charity is always a good idea especially one close to your own heart so you are sure that you will see it through.

On that note, I am sorry for your loss and that of your families.

I am unsure at present of whether or not I could participate, however, I would be more than happy to assist in the background, helping with the hotels, hostels, meeting points, itineraries, restaurants, clubs etc etc.

Your skeletal outline seems good. Suggested locations will surely pour in so long as this is kept bumped, possibly even stickied.

You should consider making a social group on this for private discussions between background admin people.

On what people would be willing to pay. I think its worthwhile to get an idea of locations and directions and go haggle rates with hotels, paintballs places and karting places etc etc and haggle vip treatment with clubs and the like and then come back with an amount + 50 or so extra for the charity or more if your feeling thrifty.

Early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Firstly, sorry to hear of your loss.

I was actually thinking of organising something like this not so long ago, albeit not for any certain charity. My idea was to try do a Top Gear style event in which you would buy a car in a set budget, and get to a set destination. This would need to be thought out alot more, very basic idea as of now.

But anywho, i would help in anyway possible. If you need any help with a banner, a website etc. etc. i'd be more than obliged to give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

put your idea up on irishbikerforum.com a lot of the lads on there do charity runs on their bikes a lot and im sure you would get a few people to join and also help you out organising things.
    Sorry bout your loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Sorry to hear about your loss OP.

I would be interested in taking part in this for deffo.

If you need any help with anything, PM me and i'll do my best.

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Most car clubs do at least a couple of charity runs each year. Many of these clubs also have their own websites / forums. Contact details for most Irish clubs can be found here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=222928.

I'm sure you would get great numbers for this, however it is difficult to get people to commit to a whole weekend as it would mean taking time off work / family obligations etc. You also have to take into consideration personal costs involved, i.e: fuel, food, accommodation, etc. A one day event would probably attract a lot more participants and raise more money.

I don't mean to take away from your idea, it sounds great, just looking at the practicality of it. Best of luck with this and sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

@berty, good idea i think I'll send off as many emails as i can at the weekend to see what sort of replies I get back from hotels and activity centres etc..

@Limerick man, Thats actually a really good idea and could be a very good theme to run in the event, as in people could do that if they wish to attempt it and then prizes good be given to the one that gets the cheapest car the furthest or something.

@seanybiker, thanks for the forum link, anywhere that has had an experience or can help at all is well worth a look!

@drummerboy08, Thanks , I'll keep that in mind, keep an eye on your inbox! :D

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Most car clubs do at least a couple of charity runs each year. Many of these clubs also have their own websites / forums. Contact details for most Irish clubs can be found here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=222928.

I'm sure you would get great numbers for this, however it is difficult to get people to commit to a whole weekend as it would mean taking time off work / family obligations etc. You also have to take into consideration personal costs involved, i.e: fuel, food, accommodation, etc. A one day event would probably attract a lot more participants and raise more money.

I don't mean to take away from your idea, it sounds great, just looking at the practicality of it. Best of luck with this and sorry for your loss.

Cheers, it might be a better idea keeping it to a one day event alright, I'm aware that there are alot of clubs that do charity runs and maybe there's not really space to fit another one in, its something I have to look into to.
    Thanks for pointing it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

draffodx wrote: »
    Cheers, it might be a better idea keeping it to a one day event alright, I'm aware that there are alot of clubs that do charity runs and maybe there's not really space to fit another one in, its something I have to look into to.
    Thanks for pointing it out

You may have misunderstood me, I was pointing out that clubs are not unaccustomed to doing events like this and from my experience tend to get larger turnouts than many other shows / events during the year. Most lads are just happy to get out for a run.

I do think keeping it to a one day event would get the most response. Another concern, especially if there is a large turnout, is that you would have to notify the polis. Again, they are not unaccustomed to directing traffic in situations like this and help to keep the procession running. I've done events in the past where I've been left sitting in traffic in some town not expecting a couple of hundred cars parading through on a Sunday afternoon. Takes away from the whole event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Would be interested in taking part in this, especially if it's as you originally mentioned, a proper round-Ireland event instead of
    Also if the idea comes off the ground I'd be glad to help out, specifically with making a website, photoshop stuff like fliers, route maps, etc..

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You may have misunderstood me, I was pointing out that clubs are not unaccustomed to doing events like this and from my experience tend to get larger turnouts than many other shows / events during the year. Most lads are just happy to get out for a run.

I do think keeping it to a one day event would get the most response. Another concern, especially if there is a large turnout, is that you would have to notify the polis. Again, they are not unaccustomed to directing traffic in situations like this and help to keep the procession running. I've done events in the past where I've been left sitting in traffic in some town not expecting a couple of hundred cars parading through on a Sunday afternoon. Takes away from the whole event.

Yes I had definitely factored in on informing the Gardai and letting them know the plans, in particular i have thought out ideas on how to stop people messing/speeding and chav type's joining in.

I had thought of keeping it low key but over a few days for the first year to see how it goes, so not actually make that much money for charity at first but see how it goes and then let it grow maybe year by year maybe it I could do it yearly. It all depends on the amount of interest I suppose
    cianclarke wrote: »
    Would be interested in taking part in this, especially if it's as you originally mentioned, a proper round-Ireland event instead of
    Also if the idea comes off the ground I'd be glad to help out, specifically with making a website, photoshop stuff like fliers, route maps, etc..

Yes I too would like to make it a few days of an event, but as MCMLXXV has said it would be something that has to be tested to see how much interest there actually is.
    Thanks for the offer of help, It will definitely to have someone to do a website and route maps etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Draffodx, sounds like a great idea and something that a lot of people on this forum would like to take part in.

I'd like to help in any way I can, Cancer charity's are also close to my own heart.

I work in the motor industry so have a few contacts who would hopefully be able to look after stuff like stickers / printing application packs. Might even be able to pursuade a few of our suppliers to donate motor related prizes.

Depending on the route I could probably arrange for main dealers to make their premises available to the run as meeting points.

PM me if you think I can help.

Advertisement