Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a community feedback

• 27-01-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Let's assume that there is an outside chance I will be going buying myself a treat at the weekend in addition to a replacement 40D.

I'm tossing up between a couple of options to go with the camera.

They are LightRoom, nothing, a 60mm macro lens.

It may well for financial/prudent reasons be nothing, but between the others, what would you do?

What should I think about sort of buying 18 votes

Canon 60mm macro
    0% 0 votes
    Adobe Lightroom
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Surprise yourself, get nothing :pac:

Seriously, why a 60mm Macro ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I don't see an option for an Atari Jaguar !! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Atari Jaguars don't add to my ongoing need for documentation. I have a personal library of photography books worth about 500E. I think.

Covey, I'm looking at macro lenses in general. I played with rymus's 100mm macro at some stage and liked, a bit. But iirc when I priced them, the 60mm was marginally less and I'm interested in taking pictures of jewellery and stuff like that, hence preference for macro.

Sounds cool if your doing inanimate stuff, but is frightfully close if your looking at insects and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Have you already used the trial version of LR?

I know I'd hate to be without it, so I'd probably go for Lightroom.

I'm firmly in the nothing camp ATM myself though, the free education system in this country is costing me a fortune.

• Advertisement

Covey wrote: »
    Sounds cool if your doing inanimate stuff, but is frightfully close if your looking at insects and the like.

Insects look great on photographs, however, for me to be close enough to take photographs of them without grossing out too much would require an 800mm macro. I don't think I could afford one even if it existed.

My objectives are jewellery and ornaments. I do a nice line on layers of dust as well.

And yeah I have tried LR way back when it was version 1.0.

As it occurs to me, another option would be spare cartridges for my inkaholic printer.

Calina wrote: »

My objectives are jewellery and ornaments. I do a nice line on layers of dust as well.

Is a 1:1 Macro not a bit of overkill for that or are you taking very small details of a very small piece??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just keep downloading the trial of lightroom :pac:
    Then get a 60mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Go for the glass everytime...software is more easily aquired than a fun new lens. The lens will give you far more opportunities for photos than software will.....go for the glass!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is a 1:1 Macro not a bit of overkill for that or are you taking very small details of a very small piece??.

Isnt the 60mm only 1:2

landyman wrote: »
    Isnt the 60mm only 1:2

Ah, just assumed.:o

Well if the 100mm is only a little dearer, then sell a couple of fingers or something and buy that, much more useful.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

was it ryan's 150mm you had a shot of? he doesn't have the 100. I've got the canon 100 along with danny, paul, keith and possibly more, and al has the 105 sigma - as does louise. I'm not sure what price the 60 is but if you haven't had a shot of the canon 100 then make sure you do before making any decisions. course, if the 60mm focal length is more your bag then go for it. it's a gap in your arsenal so i'd be inclined to suggest glass over software, and stick with whatever you're using just now in that regard.

Is the 60mm a canon or sigma? i discovered there was a relatively inexpensive canon 50mm macro and started to covet it, inexplicably....

Yeah I heard about the 50mm macro but since I have the 1.8 I figured that something a little different was called for.

Just looked and it's the 150mm I was playing with alright. Don't know why I filed it down as 100mm in my head. That makes the 100mm a bit more attractive; I wanted something shorter than the one I'd used.

I might look at the 50mm macro though if someone has it when I'm getting the camera.

The 60mm I thought was a Canon but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

the 100mm is the bestest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

100mm macro easy decision, do you not check adverts regularly? Been a few up recently.
    100mm doubles up as a good portrait lens too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

If you've managed without Lightroom up to now, i'd bet you won't miss it. You have DPP. Besides... Who buys software these days...:confused:

Some Pros and Cons... 60mm vs 100mm

The 60mm is lighter.
    The 100mm has better bokeh.
    The 60mm is cheaper.
    The 100mm has slightly better build quality.
    The 60mm is better for portraits.
    The 100mm has a longer focusing distance 6 inches. 60mm 3.5.

Both are excellent lenses.
    Both do lifesize macro, 1:1.
    Both are equally sharp.

My personal favourite is the 60mm. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Software is free, why to buy that? I'll get a 5,25" DSDD FDD with some free software for you.
    60mm - why?
    100mm borrowed to me by an unwise man - lovely, excellent, handy and in consideration (if I could use it also for portraits).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

oshead wrote: »
    The 60mm is better for portraits.

What makes you say that? curiosity here, not arguing... is it because of the focal length? if you have a nifty fifty the 60 is too close to that to be a real extra to your range isn't it? have you actually used both lenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

From what I've read 100mm is an excellent portrait lens, incredibly sharp.
    I've not used the 60mm mind.
    100mm is 160mm on a crop frame remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

So you're not getting an E-3 then :(

May I ask why you're not getting a camera that is extremely well sealed against the elements? I don't really care what you shoot with, just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Okay until I recently I though macro would be the same in all macro lenses. I was wrong :rolleyes:

How do the ratios work?
    I'm considering the 100mm myself opposed to my 28-300 macro which I need to stick a extension tube on to get any decent results...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

ThOnda wrote: »
    Software is free, why to buy that? I'll get a 5,25" DSDD FDD with some free software for you.
    60mm - why?
    100mm borrowed to me by an unwise man - lovely, excellent, handy and in consideration (if I could use it also for portraits).

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just sell a kidney and buy both!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Software is free, why to buy that?
    Who buys software these days...:confused:

***MOD***

Just to clarify that, Freeware is Free.

A lot of Shareware operates under honesty system.

Some Software has a Trial Period & you require a licence after that.

Please refer to the Charter on this subject.

Specifically;

"Discussing the possibility of pirating software is not permitted."

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have the 105mm Sigma lens and I am happy with it. It is great for portraits as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Just had a play with a friend's Sigma 50 macro and it's fantastic, it opened up a whole new cosmos of tiny things. Loved it but sadly had to hand it back.

How much does Lightroom sell for these days? About 300 quid or something? I have to say I like it a lot, but if I had to choose, I'd buy the lens and learn Gimp (freeeeeeeeeee).

CabanSail wrote: »
    ***MOD***

"Discussing the possibility of pirating software is not permitted."

Thanks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... :) I was talking about DPP.

"You have DPP. Besides... Who buys software these days..."
    elven wrote: »
    What makes you say that? curiosity here, not arguing... is it because of the focal length? if you have a nifty fifty the 60 is too close to that to be a real extra to your range isn't it? have you actually used both lenses?

Thats it.. The focal lenght. Longer focal lenghts tend to produce flatter images. But, may I say the Bokeh on the 100mm which might be more desirable for portraits.

I bought the 100mm a couple of years ago in Malaysia, kept it for a week then brought it back and changed it for the 60mm which I have to this day.

The Nifty fifty is a nice lense but dosn't compare to the 60mm for IQ.

On another point... The 50mm Macro mentioned earlier in this thread does not do lifesize. Though from what I gather it seems to be a nice lense.

Dave OS

Thats it.. The focal lenght. Longer focal lenghts tend to produce flatter images. But, may I say the Bokeh on the 100mm which might be more desirable for portraits.

I bought the 100mm a couple of years ago in Malaysia, kept it for a week then brought it back and changed it for the 60mm which I have to this day.

The Nifty fifty is a nice lense but dosn't compare to the 60mm for IQ.

On another point... The 50mm Macro mentioned earlier in this thread does not do lifesize. Though from what I gather it seems to be a nice lense.

Dave OS

As a matter of interest, how do you get those fabulous insect shots with a 60mm. Are you not too close physically to scare them off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It was just a bit ambiguous & so thought it best to put in a reminder before anyone does cross the line. :)

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, how do you get those fabulous insect shots with a 60mm. Are you not too close physically to scare them off?

Some of the shots are with the 60mm. Most of them are with the MP-E 65mm. I find that it's better to be closer to the subject when shoting with onboard flash (ringlite or twinlite). The light is not as harsh for obivous reasons. A lot of times they do scare off but sometimes they hang around.

Dave OS

CabanSail wrote: »
    It was just a bit ambiguous & so thought it best to put in a reminder before anyone does cross the line. :)

I'll try to be a bit clearer in the future. I would never condone the use of pirated software, especially here in a public forum.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

My apology for using term "software". I understand it as a general word for a code that runs on operating system and allows user to work with data.

So - Calina - I am ready to make a floppy disk of FREEware for you.

make a floppy disk

You still on that Amstrad then V? :D:pac:

Advertisement