Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird Deluxe 50 - 80 Boiler

Options
  • 27-01-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hopefully, someone may be able to help.

I was away for weekend with my heating timer set to on for just a couple of hours a day.
    When i returned the breaker on my circuit board for the boiler circuit had switched.There may have been a power cut over the weekend.

On resetting, my circulation pump appears to have power and my boiler has power going in but no Mains or Burner Lights are illuminated.

Following the wires it looks like the power should come into boiler go through Thermostat switch and then is in series with Mains light on boiler.

With this setup and after some reading up and i think my thermostat is either goosed or limit switch needs resetting.

Before i go down the road of replacing the thermostat can anyone suggest where the limit reset switch is for this thermostat.
    I have removed the knob, and removed the thermostat 'unit' from the front panel (left wires connected), but for the life of me i cant find any kind of reset switch.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If the limit stat is built into the panel, not in a seperate thermostat unit, follow the 2nd capilary tube from the boiler to the panel and you will find the stat. If you bypass it, and the boiler works, then it is faulty and should be replaced.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

Hi jim,
    Thanks for the response.
    I'm not overly familiar with the how's and why's of the capillary tubes in the boiler.
    Could you give a brief explanation of their use ?

For further information:
    The front panel on the boiler has a rotary switch with off and then graduated from 1 to 5.
    The only other thing on front panel is the Mains and Burner lights (do not illuminate).
    When i take off the top panel of the boiler the 'electrics' are exposed.
    Basically what i see is that power comes in and goes to one side of the thermostat switch.ie the back of the knob on the front panel.Also going to this 'switch' is a capillary tube.

From the 'other' side of the thermostat switch it goes to the mains and burner light indicators and from what i can see provides the actual burner power via a small 3 pin socket on the side of the boiler unit.

The second capillary tube goes to what looks like some kind of thermostat switch.This switch appears to be stand alone and is mounted on the back side of the front panel.It only has electrical and capillary tube connections.
    It doesn't seem to have any adjustments and does not connect through to the front of the front panel in any way.

Apologies for the lack of technical know how

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Glos wrote: »

The second capillary tube goes to what looks like some kind of thermostat switch.This switch appears to be stand alone and is mounted on the back side of the front panel.It only has electrical and capillary tube connections.
    It doesn't seem to have any adjustments and does not connect through to the front of the front panel in any way.

This is the high limit stat. It should look like the one on this page http://www.firebird.ie/technical/Intro-to-Firebird-technical.pdf
    The one in the photo seems to have a white button in the centre. It should also be connected in series to the other stat.
    Edit: The overheat stat on that page has not been common up to now. I presume that, after the timer shuts off, it keeps the circulating pump running until the temp drops to 93 degrees. Maybe you have one of these.
    Jim.

Advertisement