Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 3mb -> 10mb in March?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

I rang NTL today to drop from 20mb to 10mb and the guy told me that it would be better if I dropped to the 3mb line as from 01/03/09 it would be increased to 10mb at no extra charge?

Can anyone confirm this?

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I have been lied to about their BB service when getting it for the other half on 5 seperate calls in December. From the price to connection charges, no two UPC sales agents could tell me the same. Got it installed and the quoted price is wrong, we where charged installation fees and Direct Debit charges even though we're on DD for Digital+. Usless. Good service, bad customer service/sales. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I was not complaining about UPC, actually I was pleasantly surprised by how well I was treated on the phone. I just wanted to know if anyone else had heard about the free 3mb to 10mb upgrade to take place on the 1st of March?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

More proof.

It looks like there is an upcoming free upgrade.

3-10
    10-25
    20-50

I wouldn't mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I wouldn't be surprised if the 20 goes to 40 instead of 50. Would be nice to have 50 though. Also apparently we'll need new modems for 50, so if they are upgrading in march maybe we'll start seeing modems being sent out in mid-late feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Stevek101 wrote: »
    More proof.

3-10
    10-25
    20-50

I wouldn't mind that.
    Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Rumours are not proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was on to them yesterday about getting 20meg, it's not in my area but they said that engineers are working in my area at the moment and probably within 2 months i can get 20meg.

i asked them about this rumour and the person on the phone said that i was the second person to ask her today about this and that she had asked around the office after the first person and no one had hear of it. she then went on to say "i'm not 100% but you never know" the way she delivered that line to me over the phone led me to believe that there may be an upgrade coming.

anyways i'd be happy with just 20meg for a decent price. i'd be increasing my BB bill by €2.01 a month but i think it's worth it for nearly 3 times the speed ^_^.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i asked them about this rumour and the person on the phone said that i was the second person to ask her today about this and that she had asked around the office after the first person and no one had hear of it. she then went on to say "i'm not 100% but you never know" the way she delivered that line to me over the phone led me to believe that there may be an upgrade coming.

Trust me, the UPC call centre staff are always the last to hear, we usually hear about these things on this forum way before them.

That isn't to say that this rumour is true, just how it has worked out in the past *

* Past performance isn't an indication of future performance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Don't think those new numbers are realistic.
    My sister had NTL out on Monday connecting TV, broadband.
    She got 10MB package and installer mentioned it would be upgraded to 12MB in February/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

More proof.

3-10
    10-25
    20-50

I wouldn't mind that.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

More proof.

3-10
    10-25
    20-50

I wouldn't mind that.
    20-50 is a new modem? DOCSIS3 (not unless its EuroDOCSIS 2 for the current 20M connections)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I meant it'd be nice to see the packages change to something like that.

I do honestly think there is an upgrade coming. It is exactly how it happened before, engineers on call outs telling people of the faster speeds to come, CC mentioning it over the phone. Something is coming it is just a matter of what...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I might wait until then, before switching over, and cutting DSL loose. 50Meg for the price of 7.6, not to be sniffed at.
    Pity UPC dont give out static IP addresses >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I might wait until then, before switching over, and cutting DSL loose. 50Meg for the price of 7.6, not to be sniffed at.
    Pity UPC dont give out static IP addresses >>

They don't? It has been reported elsewhere that they give out up to three when the router is used as a switch.

edit:
    Nevermind, confused static with public. Long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i just got off the phone with upc technical department.

i asked him if they were upgrading the lines on the 1st of march and he said yes we are. i then asked him what the speeds upgrades were going to be.

he told me they were just upgrading the 1mb - 6mb and the 6mb to a 10 mb packages and i said so you are not upgrading the 20mb line.

he replied with 'no im not sure when we are upgrading that line' thats at the max speed'

so i have no idea if those guys were just told to keep the high end upgrades under the wistle or some people heard of the small upgrades and assumed they 20mb line would go to a 40 or even 50mb line.

all i know is he confirmed the date was the 1st of march so that should be when its happening.

I've a serious problem with the inconsistencies of UPC.

My broadband is dramatically inconsistent.

One day - brilliant.

Another day - Terrible. (just like today)

Usual b/s when you ring up - some robot @ the end of the line telling you to unplug your modem for 30 seconds, plug it back in. Still no joy. Then they say "Oh yeah, it's the modem, we'll get you a new modem" so la la la they get one of their scruffy "engineers" (don't make me laugh) out to tell you "No problem with that modem - It's a signal issue - I'll boost it for you back in the headquarters" - NO YOU WON'T YOU PATHOLOGICAL LIAR.

Or alternatively, you ring up - complain, "Ok we have boosted the signal for you - that will work now."

One day later - same problem again.

My point is UPC should forget about getting faster broadband services in when they can't even get the basics right.

Clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

Thor wrote: »

he told me they were just upgrading the 1mb - 6mb and the 6mb to a 10 mb packages and i said so you are not upgrading the 20mb line.

I ordered upc on thursday, they will be installing in the morning. I didn't think they offered a 6mb line. On their website it has 1mb, 3mb, 10mb, 20mb.

Did I miss something.

I will ask they engineer tomorrow what he thinks of this upgrade rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I know that NTL are currently upgrading lines around my area at the moment to have broadband capabilities by March so it could definitely be a possibility that they are upgrading speeds on current lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Im feckin gutted with UPC/my address today as I had my heart set on ordering 20mb (living in Shankill), and have been told BB isn't available at all(!), and that they should be upgrading my estate "in the second half of the year"... Fantastic :(

Shankill exchange is pi$$ poor and barely capable of 7.6mb as it is, so my desperate ringing around to other providers should probably cease as they'll all be workin off the same line. Magnet did tell me I could get "a contended 12 meg" connection for 150+VAT a month (cough).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My 20mb BB did slow down at peak times - until about a week ago. It is now flying along at full speed no matter what time I check it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's very possible that these line upgrades are more to do with giving better speeds and better reliability to customers then upgrading max speeds as people are finding upc connections to flux greatly great one day not so good the next tbh wouldn't be the worst thing in the world and i'm an old cutomer on a 6mb line never got a new contract so 6-10 for me would be class.

Advertisement