Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Photography site of the day - discussion...

• 27-01-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

The back story:

The web is an amazing resource for people looking for stuff. We have a linkies post somewhere but what I wanted to do with this was if people found stuff on their interwab ramblings that might interest the community on off, that they might post it here, strictly one post a day (ie if someone posts before you, you should wait a day before posting the next one). That's the idea anyway.

I want to avoid the obvious sites like dpforums, photography-on-the-net, the manufacturers sites and the really high profile bloggers. If there are photobloggers for example who catch your attention who (you think) might interest other people.

Every once in a while, some one posts something that catches there attention; I'd like to see if we can get a cool photography site of the day thread going with just one post per day and it's on a first come first served.

I realise that this bit might be impractical and lead to a lot of mod deletions of rules breakers but I'd like it to work a bit like Random Photograph rather than a directory of stuff like in the FAQs. I don't know if that makes sense.

(this means, by the way, that I am on a world tour looking for inspiration again).

If there's a lot of interest in this, I will set up a thread for it, but here, instead of links, I'd like some feedback. If the one post a day thing is unworkable I can scrap that idea. It's not critical.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

One for today - mir.com and rokkerfiles.com two invaluable resources for manual bodies!

Oh i like the idea too calina!

Edit: so like a 'random article' on wikipedia??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

i like this idea. It'd be nice to have it less of a dumping ground for links and more of a 'here's a cool thing and here's why' setup. Definitely worth limiting the posts, and encouraging discussion of the site in thread after the link has been posted. You think it'd be a huge admin overhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭4sb

Promising idea, I like it. Would you be rigid on the one site a day, first come first served?

I'm looking for new technique / aesthetics sites beyond the ones I have at present (and fanout from them), namely

theonlinephotographer
    strobist
    chromasia
    chase jarvis
    joe mcnally
    squeezethelime.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That's kind of the idea. We all have different interests in photography - take oshead's macro insects for example - but sometimes it's all too easy to stay comfortable in your own zone if people aren't flinging new things at you. So in part, it's a bit like other users filtering the web for everyone else, a little.

The idea sort of grew in my mind from the sailing link I posted last week but it hit the big time today because I really want to see more stuff outside my own zone, even more landscape stuff to reach for, the plans for macro and lightbox that I haven't really explored yet.

A lot of the time we see some fantastic stuff here - photograph wise for me the random thread has been a revelation. I just was wondering if we could make it work for photography sites on the web as well.

Edit.

I don't think I have to be rigid on the one site a day trick but I do want feedback on why people are posting specific sites. I wouldn't like the thread/idea to turn into a link dumping ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Invaluable resourse for me, ie. Olympus E510 user.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Invaluable resourse for me, ie. Olympus E510 user.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html

Wouldn't that be considered a bit of a link dump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Effectively wouldn't it mean only the night-owls would get their link up? Or would there be a moderation process?

Advertisement