Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing SQL Server 2005 on Vista

Options
  • 27-01-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

I'm trying to install SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on Vista Home Premium but but at the system configuration check I'm getting two warning messages:

1. - IIS Feature Requirement (Warning)

Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) is either not installed or is disabled. IIS is required by some SQL Server features. Without IIS, some SQL Server features will not be available for installation. To install all SQL Server features, install IIS from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or enable the IIS service through the Control Panel if it is already installed, and then run SQL Server Setup again. For a list of features that depend on IIS, see Features Supported by Editions of SQL Server in Books Online.

From searching google I have found a fix by installing the IIS and even though its installed SQL still doesn't recognise it.

2. - COM Plus Catalog Requirement (Warning)

If SQL Server Setup fails, Setup will roll back the installation but may not remove all .manifest files. The workaround is to rename the files and then rerun Setup. For more information, see How to: Work Around COM+ Check Failure in SQL Server Setup.

From searching google again I have found many answers to try and fix this from reinstalling the MSDTC to setting the right configuration but again nothing seems to work for me.

Could someone please help me woth this because its driving me mad.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

firstly these are both just warning. they wont stop the install from working. the second just affects clean up after the install. you can do this manually yourself.

IIS needs to be installed for reporting services only. so unless you need reporting services you can ignore this warning too.

to install IIS properly you go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off.
    Then under the Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services tick all the boxes. you dont need all of them but unless you really know what everything is your better off including them. also tick the web management tools.
    When this is done press ok and restart your pc. run windows updates after that.

then restart the sql install. It should find IIS now.

for the com
    Check that the distributed transaction coordinator (MSDTC) service is started.

set MSDTC service to automatic, restart the SQL Server 2005 install and you should not get the error again.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Cheers for that

But after I install SQL Server I must install BizTalk.

I have tried installing BizTalk after SQL but it won't install the Enterprise Single Sign On and I thought this had something to do with the MSDTC.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Never installed biztalk. msdtc might affect it but what error do you get in your event log?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Main thing

Create a VM with either 2003 or 2008 and run it on that. Its easier... Sure it will run on Vista.. but use a business or higher level than home premium

MSDTC needs access to use System.Transaction

See here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753510.aspx

Download the BizTalk prereq for Vista http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=81432

Also in SQL 2005 make sure you have enabled the correct network transports such as TCP/IP in the network configuration as they are disabled by default and opened the correct ports on your firewall

Another thing is make sure you have the correct compat with IIS by enabling IIS 6.0 compat

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

After you install SQL - did you put on SP2? - this is required for Vista.

check this blog post for installing Sql + Biztalk on Vista.

I presume that you have already installed Visual Studio already - you need to install it before you install BizTalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

mercuroman wrote: »
    After you install SQL - did you put on SP2? - this is required for Vista.

check this blog post for installing Sql + Biztalk on Vista.

I presume that you have already installed Visual Studio already - you need to install it before you install BizTalk

I actuly installed SP3 for SQL and also Visual Studio 2008 with the SP1

As for the link, I was following that one myself but I just can't get it to work haha XTREMELY ANNOYING

Cheers for the help

Advertisement