Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limited/Unlimited licence

Options
  • 27-01-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Whats the difference between a limited and unlimited shotgun licence?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

i went to the garda looking for a second shot gun lience and the FO said once it is unlimited there is no problem getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

A limited license is generally just for farmers, you are only allowed to shoot vermin on one farm which must be specified to the guards, your max number of allowed cartridges is 25, you do not need proof of insurance or gunclub membership, and it is 6 euro as opposed to 38 or what ever it is for an unlimited. I intend to change to an unlimited this august.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

whats the story with changin, my dad is on a limited but wants to change, i got a unlimited on my application last year so not sure. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

k_d wrote: »
    whats the story with changin, my dad is on a limited but wants to change, i got a unlimited on my application last year so not sure. Thanks
    maybe your dad had it for just vermin - crows, foxs etc? is he a farmer? i dont know why but, i think any new application for a license, you get an unlimited license! and then if you get a second license it will be a subsequent or limited license! - €6?
    But im sure if you just wanted a limited license all you have to do is ask!
    And id say it would just be simply a case of your dad saying to the f.o or sargeant that he wanted to change to unlimited come renewal time!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm pretty sure the €6 fee is gone - the aftermath of the campaign against hiking the fees enormously when the 3-year licence comes in was that everyone would pay the same amount for the licence, regardless of firearm type.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the €6 fee is gone - the aftermath of the campaign against hiking the fees enormously when the 3-year licence comes in was that everyone would pay the same amount for the licence, regardless of firearm type.

When is the new 3 year license being brought into play? i thought i heard that it wasnt been done this year?
    But itl be a big jump up from 6 euro for the subsequent license when it does come in id say!

Well, it should have been in place last August, but PULSE wasn't up to the 3-year licence yet; it's supposed to come in this August instead. Convincing PULSE to play nice is the hold-up unfortunately.

Well, it should have been in place last August, but PULSE wasn't up to the 3-year licence yet; it's supposed to come in this August instead. Convincing PULSE to play nice is the hold-up unfortunately.
    i see, you have no idea on what the proposed fees are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I do believe that the fees were as follows €38 for rifle and subsequent rifle, €25 for first shotgun and €6 for subsequent. (2008)

I believe that there was a proposal for a fee of €66 per firearm regardless of rifle or shotgun was muted for the first 3 year period

I had three members this year turned away from the local station as they were told to pay there fees in the Post Office:( In fairness the local sargent and FO wasnt at fault. Young bucks from Templemore

I do believe that the fees are as follows €38 for rifle and subsequent rifle, €25 for first shotgun and €6 for subsequent.

I had three members this year turned away from the local station as they were told to pay it in the Post Office:( In fairness the local sargent and FO wasnt at fault. Young bucks from Templemore
    ffs and will the post office send them to the station for the t.v license?

So no 3 year license yet?

• Advertisement

no not yet,
    and looks like a fee of €66 per firearm for 3 years when it comes

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

ayapatrick wrote: »
    i see, you have no idea on what the proposed fees are?

Section 68 of the Finance Act 2007 sets out the fees:

Rifle, Pistol, Revolver|€170
    Limited Shotgun|€30
    Unlimited shotgun|€115 for the first one, €30 for all subsequent ones
    Crossbow|€115 for the first one, €30 for all subsequent ones
    Prohibited Weapon|€30

They're all fees for 3 year licenses.

Does anyone have a reference for a subsequent Act or SI which overrules those figures?

is the finance act not re written as and when required?:confused: i.e after each budget

Id say there will be a few second hand firearms up for grabs

is the finance act not re written as and when required?:confused: i.e after each budget

No, they're cumulative and amend the previous ones rather than replacing them wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

IRLConor wrote: »
    Section 68 of the Finance Act 2007 sets out the fees:

Does anyone have a reference for a subsequent Act or SI which overrules those figures?

Don't know where this leaves us, but it's from the Dept of Finance web site.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    Removal from the Finance Acts the Setting of Fees on Firearm Licences, etc
    [/FONT]
    It has been agreed that DJELR/the Garda Síochána should take over the setting of the fees as
    well as the licensing of firearms. DJELR is in the process of providing for that in legislation.
    However, it requires that the setting of the excise duty/fee be removed from the Finance Acts,
    by repealing the relevant provisions through the Finance Bill 2008, with a Commencement
    Order being provided for the implementation of the repeal of the relevant sections, when
    DJELR are in a position to takeover the full process. The Tánaiste has agreed in principle to
    above arrangement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

€170 for a rifle, but €30 for a machine gun? Time to trade in the .22 for a Mac 11, I think.

Have there actually been any licences issued for 'prohibited weapons'? Ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Theres a Orwellian juxtaposition if ever there was one.A prohibited weapon is liscenseable!;):rolleyes: Only in Ireland.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Theres a Orwellian juxtaposition if ever there was one.A prohibited weapon is liscenseable!;):rolleyes: Only in Ireland.:)

Yeah, the way things are going we'll be lucky if we can licence 'restricted' firearms. Mr. Orwell would not be amused. He'd prolly be a little peed off.

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there

Sorry George, you'd have been better off penning an idea for a reality T.V. show for all people have learned from your work.

dimebag249 wrote: »
    €170 for a rifle, but €30 for a machine gun? Time to trade in the .22 for a Mac 11, I think.
    I don't think they do it by licences, but there are several "prohibited weapons" in the state - the MP7s the ERU use, the M4/M16s the US Embassy guards have in their armoury (yes, it's US territory, but how do you think they got there?), the tasers the Gardai have been equipped with recently and so on.

I don't think they do it by licences, but there are several "prohibited weapons" in the state - the MP7s the ERU use, the M4/M16s the US Embassy guards have in their armoury (yes, it's US territory, but how do you think they got there?), the tasers the Gardai have been equipped with recently and so on.

Anyone have info on how the permits for such weapons are issued, who issues them etc. Also how are concealed carry permits for detectives handled? Am I wrong in thinking that some politicians have legally carried handguns in the past?

I know this is off-topic, but I'm curious as to how licences for defensive and offensive weapons are handled in comparison to sporting weapons. Also I need a Mac 11:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submachine_gun_competition

• Advertisement

Am I wrong in thinking that some politicians have legally carried handguns in the past?
    Well, no, but we're almost talking about things taught in secondary school history there for the most recent case I can think of.

Oh, and you can't get a Mac11, they're category A firearms under EU law and you'd need a special dispensation from the government for that (and I'm pretty sure it'd have to be from the Government, not just the Minister).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

In the UK it used to be the case that prohibited firearms were licenceable. However it was the military who authorised issuing the licence and the police had to comply. I think the main reason was to facilitate firearms manufacturers and their agents.

I doubt if arms held by embassy staff in Ireland are licenced by the state, they would just come in the diplomatic bag.

You aren't really permitted (under the Vienna Convention) to use the diplomatic bag like that though - there are limits to what you can ship in it, and the host nation is allowed to challange it (though that varies from nation to nation) and there are other complications like non-intrusive scanning with geiger counters, etc, etc.

Otherwise, you could kidnap someone and smuggle them out of the country under the diplomatic bag's cover (as was tried in London with a Nigerian Foreign Minister a few years ago, unsuccessfully), or smuggle drugs in one (again, done in London a few years ago with heroin), or arms (there was an uproar when they tried this in Harare a while back because they actually opened the bag, but if the host nation just challanges it and says, in effect, "open it or send it back, I think you've something dodgy in there", then they're within international law).

Given how our country has a habit of working, I don't doubt that someone, somewhere, had a 'quiet chat' with the embassy staff or someone higher up the food chain 'in the interests of cooperation with our American friends' and all that. Which is why I was thinking there'd be a licence for the stuff the embassies have.

Even under the Vienna convention,arms are acceptable "embassy equipment" provided they are declared to the host country,and are not in excess of the security personel needs.[IOW you can arm up the entire embassy non national to the host country staff with side arms,rifles,smgs etc.But not with a bunch of RPGs,or a squadron of tanks]
    They can and are moved via the diplomatic bag,[which can be in size from a letter to a 40ft container].
    Not that there are many M4s to be had in Ballsbridge anymore.Most of the embassy personel is Irish,and the Marines have been replaced by some local unarmed security outfit.[Dont worry no state secrets given away there.Anyone who walks past,or been in the place can see this.]

Smuggling drugs and whatnot,is just not playing the diplomatic game if one is caught,and you will be sent home..So there! Dont be naughty.:rolleyes: Called diplomatic immunity..
    The only time I know of full auto stuff being liscensed is when a US president drops in for a chat,and to keep things legal and above board the Secret Service is issued a liscense for their equipment,for as long as POTUS is on Irish soil.

As for prohibited weapons with the ERU,etc.That would mean every AUG,UZI etc used by the States forces would have to be liscensed to individuals.ASFIK the FA all expressly state that Gardai or
    Army are exempt from the acts in the course of their duties.Which also explains that SB,etc doesnt need to carry a concealed permit,as they would have the firearms authorisation ticket.

As for politicans carrying firearms...How shall I say this??...Well, think Northern Ireland peace process,and who is involved,and can travel between the North and South on their political duties ..It has and can happen here.Lets leave it at that.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭airy-fairy

Do you reckon they need a licence for all the firearms coming in on the us military flights to Shannon?

I'd say they get some sort of exemption for army personnel on official business.

I can't imagine the secret service giving up the details of who has what when they visit with the us president either...

I remember the last air show I was at in Shannon the army personnel were showing the live ammo from m-16 versus the tank buster planes. Do they need licences for the missiles and other armaments stuck on the planes?

Any while I am thinking about it when the big aircraft carrier docked in Dublin about 10 years ago there was hundreds of personnel and marines aboard all armed...

[
    quote=airy-fairy;58793952]Do you reckon they need a licence for all the firearms coming in on the us military flights to Shannon?
    No,because contrary to what the professional Anti American protestors go on about.It is legal under international law to ship combat personel thru a neutral country with their arms,provided they leave within 24 hours,and the neutral country agrees to this.

I'd say they get some sort of exemption for army personnel on official business.

Unless they are diplomatic protection staff,not a hope.Officers do not carry sidearms unless they are involved in actual combat,or other threatning situations,related to their duties. Ireland is not considerd[Yet] a hostile posting.

I can't imagine the secret service giving up the details of who has what when they visit with the us president either...
    Err.They do!As a matter of fact the US secret service makes no bones about displaying their arms publicly.I was in Limerick when Mr Klintoon decided to grace us with his presence .There was more firepower in O Connell St that day,than what the local gangs could muster in a year of Sundays.Ditto out on Lahinch golf course,when Billary went out for a few rounds of golf.
    Check out the TV footage of that time.Never forget the big African American gentleman with the large sniper rifle in the bell tower in O Connell St:eek:
    I remember the last air show I was at in Shannon the army personnel were showing the live ammo from m-16 versus the tank buster planes. Do they need licences for the missiles and other armaments stuck on the planes?

That must have been intresting as a A10 "warthog"tank destroyer uses a 20mm Vulcan cannon!Not an "m-16" :eek:.bit of news ,no again they do not need a liscense for the armaments or missiles,as they are known as "dumb",and they are not taking up residence here for longer than 24 hours..IOW they are deacts or dummies.it would be way to risky and or dangerous to let the general public near live war munitions on an aircraft like that,especially in a neutral country.Even though you would want to be sitting in the cockpit and knowing which switches to press to activate the weapons systems,the live stuff is pretty inert iron as well.
    Only time an aircraft is fully bombed,armed or missiled up with live stuff is when it is going either on a real mission or a practise flight on a range.

Any while I am thinking about it when the big aircraft carrier docked in Dublin about 10 years ago there was hundreds of personnel and marines aboard all armed...
    [/QUOTE]

And were the US Marines,and Navy personel strolling around Dublin armed to the teeth??? Nope! Reason again is the law,international and local.International,any vessel may keep a store of arms for it's protection,and if they wanted to they could have brought arms ashore.PROVIDED they were to be repaired or maintained by a gunsmith.Abit unlikely with the US navy,dont you think?All the vessel has to do while in port is have the arms locker secured by both the ships master and sealed by the customs offical.Again pretty unlikely that the local shams were going to go out and try and nick an odd m16 lying around.

dimebag249 wrote: »

If there have been, I suspect it was for something like pepper spray rather than a machine gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nearly sure those Embassy boys have their kit shipped in diplomatic luggage Sparks. No can touch for customs and Gardai. And if not I can't see any problem with the Irish Government allowing a friendly nation to transport equipment for protecting their embassy accross Irish territory.

Pretty sure of that myself meath, but read the little bit above about the Vienna convention?

• Advertisement
Advertisement