Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cotbed mattress

Options
  • 27-01-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi all. Im a new parent. 3 weeks :) baby only came home this week, was in ICU for past 3 weeks....I am trying to choose a mattress (140 x 70) for a cot bed I bought but don't know anything about mattresses. Went up to Newry today to get one but got confused by all the hype. Pocket sprung, coil etc etc. Was looking at a mamas and papas sleepsafe luxury pocket sprung mattress was £140. Are they better than foam or how does it go? Felt a sprung mattress and could feel the springs in it..

Any help appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi Tunner,

Firstly congrats on your new arrival - glad to hear he/she is out of ICU and home where baby belongs :)

I personally think sprung mattresses are better than foam.

My nearly 3 year old daughter is still using hers and it's really stood the test of time, what with jumping, nappy accidents and general abuse. The foam ones are okay but I personally prefer the sprung ones.

We got the dearest one in Mothercare, back in the day, can't even remember how much it was, but I figured you get what you pay for. She does a LOT of jumping in her bed so I'm glad I bought the most expensive one, it was breathable, hypoallergenic, blah de blah...

Truth be told, she has the best quality mattress in the whole house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well done on the new arrival tunner.

We used the default foam mattress we got with the cotbed for the first 6 months or so. We did find however that as she got heavier the mattress started to develop a pit in the shape of her head, despite turning it regularly. As she got that little bit older and started turning in the cot, we opted for a proper sprung mattress.

Like embee, we shelled out on expensive one from Mamas & Papas with all the bells and whistles, but figured it was a no brainer considering it would last so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

Thanks Guys. Its great having him home. Considering 3 weeks ago we were told he might not make it.....
    Would this one be any good then?
    http://www.mothercare.ie/ContentBuilder/DisplayPage.aspx?DataId=DA000057&view=detail&ProductID=PR000003&UniqueID=35

Can anyone give me tips with this? Is it normal behavior?
    He is acting up something terrible at night. No problem feeding during the day and takes 200 mls with each feed and sleeps 3-4 hrs but at night he will only take 100 at a time. wont go back to sleep and only sleeps 1 - 2 hrs at a time max and then acts like he has a pain. Takes ages to wind with no results sometimes. Nurse was around yesterday and said he is 10,7 lbs which is good for a nearly 4 week old baby...

Tunner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

tunner wrote: »
    Thanks Guys. Its great having him home. Considering 3 weeks ago we were told he might not make it.....
    http://www.mothercare.ie/ContentBuilder/DisplayPage.aspx?DataId=DA000057&view=detail&ProductID=PR000003&UniqueID=35

Can anyone give me tips with this? Is it normal behavior?
    He is acting up something terrible at night. No problem feeding during the day and takes 200 mls with each feed and sleeps 3-4 hrs but at night he will only take 100 at a time. wont go back to sleep and only sleeps 1 - 2 hrs at a time max and then acts like he has a pain. Takes ages to wind with no results sometimes. Nurse was around yesterday and said he is 10,7 lbs which is good for a nearly 4 week old baby...

Tunner...

Sounds like he could be colicky, tunner. He is coming into just the right age for it too at 3-4 weeks old...

Alas, there isn't a whole lot you can do for colic except ride the storm. I used to use infacol to get my daughter through the worst of it, but other than that, it was just a question of pacing the floor with a screeching baby for a couple of hours until it passed. "Bewitching hour" used to kick off every day without fail at 4pm and last until 6pm. Every day from 4 weeks old to 3 months old. Nearly tore my hair out but it passes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_colic

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Looks fine from what I can see.
    Can anyone give me tips with this? Is it normal behaviour?

Tunner...
    I suppose at 4 weeks it can be hard to try and settle into a routine, but from what I've learned everybody has a different experience.

I was in a similar situation to yourselve and my daughter was in NICU for 2 weeks, the first week of which she was continually sedated. By the time we got home we hadn't a clue what was normal or not. Getting the wind up would nearly guarantee a return to sleep, but if none came up she would be grumpy. We found that swaddling was the best way to deal with any type of upset in the early days, as at this early stage you can't give Calpol etc. Even when the colic kicked in swaddling worked wonders, it would go from bawling to contentment in 30 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Congrats

We got ours in mothercare - it was their more expenisve one but it lasted good few years for us till she moved into a big bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

Hi! congratulations hope all goes well for you. I just thought I'd mention rooibos tea is apparently used for babies in South Africa, it has a calming effect. Maybe do a bit of research and see if it's worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Congrats to you.

My option has always been a spring mattress rather then a foam one because the foam one doesnt alow babys skin to breath and can be quite hot at thimes. As for which type of spring matress, little one is only very light at the moment so go for something that has padding on the top of the springs.

Advertisement