Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EOS Lens suggestions !!!!

• 27-01-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Looking for suggestions for a lens to be used for drift events and trackdays, to take quality images, so whats good for high speed moving objects at a distance :D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 damo2006

500-1000;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I think the a 50mm prime should be a good lens for that. The f1.8 or the f1.4 are fast lenses so they should be good for action photography. And the 50mm focal length should give a good field of view too.
    Or if you've got the money, you can look into the 70-200 f2.8 L lens. It should be good if you're taking pics from a distance and want close ups n such...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

af_thefragile +1

A bit over your budget, but the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM lense is a world beater.

Dave OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8?
    Canon EF 135 f/2?

• Advertisement

Hey guys thanks i should note i have one lens already i.e. the 18-55

just looking at the 70-200 it looks awesome

how about for little less money the sigma

Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG

would i be better off saving and getting this below
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS

The Sigma is not bad. I've used it and it was decent enough. It was a newer model too so had some slight improvements over older versions which had AF issues.

If you're not after a f/2.8 lens maybe a 70-200 f/4 L? They have an IS version too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Drift events are usually in good light so an 70-200 f4 would fit the bill and budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a 70-200 f4 and its one of the sharpest zoom lenses that canon makes

its autofocus is exceptionally quick

and its tack sharp

the other option is a second hand 100-400, would give you a lot of flexability.

Aye I have the 70-200 f/4 L IS and I can say it's a fantastic lens! Super sharp photos and immense detail picked up. Really really good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've heard good things about the tammy 70-200..... If you had an alpha mount you could have gotten a second hand 300mm f2.8 sony/minolta for a grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Everybody speaks about the 70-200 f4 because is a L lens, but if you need closer close ups i think the 70-300 IS USM will do the job as well, its not a L lens but i can tell you that the quality is also very good :)

Thanks for the info guys im stuck really i think between the canon ef 70-200 f/2.8 L and the f/4.0L

The f/4 is more in my budget im just afraid it will suffer in overcast conditions and lord know ill be shooting in them the way the weather is in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

cropping the 70-200 f4 L would give you better results than the 70-300 nearly everytime. it's far superior glass.

i picked up a 70-200 f/2.8 for 700euro a while back, not the IS one now, but still a fantastic lens. never lets me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I think IS would be pretty useless for action photography. Just go for the normal 70-200 f2.8 L lens. You'ld most probably also be using a tripod so wouldn't need the IS for that.
    And the wider f will always be handy giving you better bokeh (if you need that) and better for low light conditions. If you decide to shoot in evenings or night times...
    And the L lens is much better quality than the normal lenses. More sharper, better color depth and contrast.

I think IS would be pretty useless for action photography. Just go for the normal 70-200 f2.8 L lens. You'ld most probably also be using a tripod so wouldn't need the IS for that.
    And the wider f will always be handy giving you better bokeh (if you need that) and better for low light conditions. If you decide to shoot in evenings or night times...
    And the L lens is much better quality than the normal lenses. More sharper, better color depth and contrast.

Cheers, yea even if i wanted the IS it's out of my budget, i think i will be going with the 70-200 f2.8L, and can work it around the tripod and monopod if I have to, and yes bokeh will be a big factor in alot of the shots.

Thanks again,

Advertisement