Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first macro attempt C&C

• 27-01-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This is my first proper attempt at a macro picture after buying an extension tube last week to go with the kit lens on the canon 1000D. I'm relatively new around this section, but i'm finding that its my most visited page in recent weeks. Definitely got the bug :D

Sugar
    3232367622_93d53a11a6.jpg
    click for larger

Comments are very welcome (but go easy on me!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

very good shot, me like :)

Do think it could use a bit more Depth of Field, the cloth loop just bottom right of the crystal is fully focused and takes away from the subject

As my eye kinda wanders round the pic, I'm assuming the picture was taken with fully open lens? (my exif fu is weak!) Using f8 instead of f2.8 would have made more of the crystal crystal-sharp :) Might have needed a tripod for the longer exposure tho ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

It's a very good first attempt. I like it. :) I'd like some more info though. Camera settings(Exif) would be a good start. Was the camera tripod mounted? How much is the image cropped... etc. The DOF, I feel is not too bad either.

Dave OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

What lens is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

bmcgrath wrote: »
    What lens is this?
    Think he said the 18-55 kit lens with an extension.

That quite a good picture though. I agree it could do with some more depth of field to get the whole crystal in focus. And i did hear the 18-55 kit lens is quite decent for macro photography with its minimum focal distance of just 0.28m is one of the lowest.

Good job none the less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Thanks for replies.

Yes I used a macro extension tube (with only the two adaptors - no rings as the DOF was paper thin!) on my 18-55mm kit kens @ 55mm.

Because I was using a tube there was no connections between the camera and lens so i don't have a camera setting file - right?

The exposure was 1"6. Taken on the kitchen table this evening under normal lights and no flash. I did use a LED torch to illuminate the crystal though. I then tweaked the pic in photoshop to give it a tiny bit more contrast and also the levels.

The camera was propped up using a book - no tripod just yet!

The photo was only cropped to fit the size of my laptop screen (1280 x 800). Otherwise nothing else was done.

Edit -
    1) 1280 x 800 is the size of my laptop screen - its my new wallpaper
    2) I used a remote release to counteract any shake of the camera using my amateur set up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement