Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under-rated band or artist.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Stand
    Badly Drawn Boy
    Pugwash

All criminally underrated imho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

THRICE
    This band can never cease to amaze me. Constantly evolving and getting more sophisticated at what it does. Started off as just another punk/post-hardcore band but now has evolved into an amazing experimental/art-rock band compared to other bands like Radiohead.
    Also forgot to mention its one of the few bands with the deepest and the most meaningful lyrics out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Pugwash
    Thomas Walsh is God. Well maybe not God, maybe Buddha, well maybe more like Hotei...

...you get my drift.

I can't believe John Martyn died yesterday, well, actually, yes I can.

I might dig out my vinyl copy of 'Grace and Danger' tonight and annoy the neighbour's cat.

He was a fantastic talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Thomas Walsh is God. Well maybe not God, maybe Buddha, well maybe more like Hotei...

...you get my drift.

I can't believe John Martyn died yesterday, well, actually, yes I can.

I might dig out my vinyl copy of 'Grace and Danger' tonight and annoy the neighbour's cat.

He was a fantastic talent.

Agreed, Funniest thing someone has said to me about the Pugs was if John Lennon had've written some of their songs he'd have been shot years earlier.. 11 Modern Antiquities is a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Freshly squash

Ween
    Every other band I've heard in my life, with the exception of the Beatles, pale in comparison with this band. Been on the go since 1990 and have never released a duff album. They seem to be one of the ultimate cult bands: biggish amount of obsessives but largely ignored by the public at large. They are pretty "strange" at first glance- goofy songs about some questionable stuff and the fact that they play virtually every genre of music means that they often get dismissed as just parodists. No chance, yes, they are pretty silly at times but everything they do is backed up by incredible musicianship and songwriting talent. Plus they've got plenty of honestly touching and beautiful songs- when they arent singing about tooters, weasels and sexytime.
    The Mollusk is their most solid album. They set all the musical ability for set to stun on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Arthur foxworth

Davy Graham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

john martyn
    nizlopi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

VAST, Granted at this stage it's just Jon Crosbie and a revolving door of musicians, but the music is criminally underrated. Never really broke outside of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Department of Eagles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Here's some very underated bands and artists

Husker Du
    Bob Mould
    Silversun Pickups
    Whipping Boy
    Lemonheads
    The Replacements
    Frank Turner
    Nick Drake
    Slowdive
    Swervedriver
    Fugazi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    VAST, Granted at this stage it's just Jon Crosbie and a revolving door of musicians, but the music is criminally underrated. Never really broke outside of the US.

VAST is great!
    And very underrated.

Also:

Clutch
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Morcheeba
    and maybe Chevelle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This is a difficult one because what terms of reference are being used - critical acclaim or commercial success? I mean, I just saw (the amazing) Ride mentioned - the music press at the time worshipped them - no way could they have been called "under-rated". And for an indie act, they didn't do too badly commercially. They were on Top of the Pops numerous times.

I suppose they've been largely forgotten though.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

the obvious Rory Gallagher and Taste
    Torche
    Pelican
    and the Desert Sessions,some great music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Afroman, sure he got high, and he grew up in Palmdale... and has a crazy rap but the other stuff we dont hear this side of the ocean is brilliant... he openly raps about Everything in his life ( from getting shot up to getting his a$$ whooped... when he got signed etc )

much better quality then the game 50 cent etc and gets none of the rep...

The price of not selling out eh ??

Fro'bama his new album is aready out i think...

checking him out on youtube will well worth it...

he does a " tasteful " cover of wonderful tonight by eric clapton as well as other artists...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Phoenix - United is still one of my favourite albums of all time!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

niallon wrote: »
    Sadly underrated in his own country (though underrated isn't exactly correct, more so that he is ignored) Freddie White. Started off in the seventies, played in Scullion, stint in Moving Hearts etc. and he is truly one of the greatest vocalists and guitarists in the country.

Give him any song and listen to what he turns it in to, incredible stuff.

Totally agree Niallon. Any idea of where to get his CDs these days? HMV are a dead loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

I'm going to add Archive to this list.

I don't know how long they've been around but I have the three albums on the Ipod the last few weeks and they have to be one of the best bands I've ever listened too.

Thank god for random friends playing random music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

ian brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

The Go Betweens
    + Plus Solo Works

The Triffids

XTC
    Plus side projects ,i.e. Dukes of the Stratosphere

Tortoise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

i second electric six and afroman

also brmc for the album howl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

Tattoo Rodeo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Doves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Anton Chigurh

The National.

Don't know how this band are not massive.

Boxer and Alligator must be two of the best albums of the noughties.

Definitely check them out.

Advertisement