Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric dog fence?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to get a fence to stop my dogs from destroying my garden :mad: I got a quote for a wooden fence and it was €750! which I don't have... The electric fences are approx €200-300, but I'm not sure if they are good, or if they are hurtful for dogs??? Has anyone any experience of using one? Would you recommend them?

Many thanks,
    Trix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Don't have any experience with them, except for a Great Dane down the road from us who decided the pain barrier was worth going through and would meet us on the road when walking. :eek:
    I was terrified of him, so I don't think I would trust them - he broke out more than once.

For the average dog, I'm sure the would keep them in. But it think if the batteries in the collar are low then there is a risk they will get out.
    Basically it is meant to beep to warn them when they are near the fence, and gives them a shock if they try to cross the line.

So yes it will hurt them a little, but most will cop onto that and stay away from it.
    I'm not sure what happens if there is a power cut, does this mean your dog might run away too?
    I'd prefer a fence, it would also mean other dogs cannot come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

...I meant to say it was for my back garden - just to stop my two from digging huge holes!! Thanks for the reply - much appreciated

Trix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

In my opinion they are usually mis-used, and in my experience, they are very unreliable. Not to mention the fact that they won't deter another, unfriendly dog - or indeed a dog thief - entering your property. Personally I would spend the extra few bob on securing the property with proper fencing. It's kinder to your dog and he'll be safer. Don't forget if the battery fails and your dogs gets out on the road and causes an accident, you will be held liable and could be sued.

Advertisement