Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Bill

Options
  • 27-01-2009 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just ome form work and opened bill, €1000 !!! it was 83euro last time, its only been for about 5/6 weeks??? What the hell ? Share a house with 3 others but its only on about 4 hours a day or so.... crazy, anyone else come across this? Any ideas what to do (apart from giving them a call first thing in the morning)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Could be an estimated bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Could be an estimation. However Bord Gais Energy Supply (the supply arm of BGE) have recently introduced a new billing system, so any problematic/excessive bills are probably errors. I would contact them in the morning and make sure you speak to someone who knows what they are talking about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

check the reading on the bill, then check the reading in the gas box,
    if it matches, youve got a winner, and a lighter pocket.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It's a mistake.Decimal point went askew somewhere.Call them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

house with three people, lasst bill was 83e seems kinda low...what where your bills each time before the 83e one?

My guess is they've been undercharging you with estimated bills for awhile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just got my bill too, 270 euro, which is the most it's ever been. There have been some price increases over the last year, this would be the bill for end Nov, all of Dec and early Jan, when it was very cold and would have had the gas on more. I checked my reading, as the bill was an estimate, but the actual reading on the meter was slightly more than the estimate. My previous bill could well have been under estimated, can't remember.

Could be that you've been getting estimates that were under the real value, and now the real reading is catching up, add the price rise into that, and you've got a big bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭hill16dub

got my bill yesrterday, was 1/3 extra

oil and gas are still at their lowest prices for a long long time and these muppets have kept their prices sky high

ESB received their 3% wage increase

is it just me or should we go nuclear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

hill16dub wrote: »

is it just me or should we go nuclear

Go nuclear and nuke the ****in government!

Our bill arrived yesterday. €353. The highest ever. Altho it was cold and the heating was on a lot. They introduced new tariffs recetly tho. Would it be anything to do with that?

Tariffs

If you go into tariffs calculator it also says that customer's bills will increase by an average of 20% from 1st Sept '08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ours was also the highest in 6 years, rang Bord Gais askig why the estimate was so big and the guy didn't know, he doesn't know how the estimates are calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Due to the increases I have been watching how much I had the heating on, and it only came to €82 - down €10 for the same period last year :D. That is with a gas hob on too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Is there any comeback if Bord Gais were underestimating bills prior to the price increase. In this case if the actual reading is much higher than the estimate, you will end up paying the new increased price for gas which may have been consumed before the increase.
    Did they read all meters before the increase, to ensure customers wouldn't be ripped off.
    I suppose the reverse is also true - if you rang them just before the increase, told them that your reading was much higher than on their estimate, they would have billed you at the lower price for gas which you had yet to consume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dilallio wrote: »
    Is there any comeback if Bord Gais were underestimating bills prior to the price increase.

No. By paying the last bill, you accepted the charges and the estimate (if it was an estimate).

If it was wrong, it was up to you to inform them of the correct reading, which they would then have rectified. At this point, there's no way to know what the actual reading was for the last bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Got an ESB bill last week for €55 - when I read it again it was actually €55 credit, due to being overestimated for a while.
    Was delighted, until the next morning when our gas bill for €290 came in.

Easy come, easy go. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Our gas bill arrived also - €393, up about €120 on the last one. I did a meter reading & logged it (should have been lower). Also got the ESB - €227. Bill for same period last year was €135.

My income has gone down 25% in the year !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭hill16dub

i got a bill for 600 for 2 months

devastated!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭richieb

wife gas bill 4oo euro, mothers 4oo euro other people i no got 1 4 357 euro , we ll have to put on another jumper mes think, its a crazy world, o yea and bertie got away scottfree while we all in the poop for ever, cute boy al right

How on earth are people's gas bills so high. In the time I have lived in my own place, have only had a bill over €100 once :eek:, and I have the heating on for an hour or two a day, along with gas hob. Insulation definitely pays :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

its a mixture of both the weather and the price of gas.
    the last two months have been the coldest in a long time ,I think the price wasn't noticable until now because of the change in the weather.

Mine was down on last year, but I know if I turn on the heating, only need it on for 20 mins max at a time, before it gets too hot, when I turn it off. Thermostat is set at 20 degrees too.

my sisters gas bill was €40 for the two months ,they have a gas hob and boiler :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mine was down on last year, but I know if I turn on the heating, only need it on for 20 mins max at a time, before it gets too hot, when I turn it off. Thermostat is set at 20 degrees too.
    That's what thermostats are for. If it's too hot for you after 20 mins, then just turn the thermostat down to whatever the temperature is at that point. Why make life difficult for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Actually, I'm pretty sure everyone's been overcharged - though only by 3 or 4 cents.

From the Bord Gais website, the standing charge per year is 59.02 inc VAT, 52.00 excl VAT.

Which works out as .142466 euros per day.
    But on the bill, they've (wrongly) rounded this to .143 euro, before multiplying it by the number of days, and then adding 13.5% VAT. Instead of rounding at the end of the calculation, which would be standard practice.

Which adds up to at least 3 cents difference over a 2 month period.
    OK, it's not much, but if it's the same all the time on every bill, it adds up to ... not all that much every year.

Still, I mailed them to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

You don't have to pay the lot in 1 go thankfully, and if you tell them you have kids in the house they can't cut you off (or so I am told).

Alun wrote: »
    That's what thermostats are for. If it's too hot for you after 20 mins, then just turn the thermostat down to whatever the temperature is at that point. Why make life difficult for yourself?

Actually, it does not make life difficult. I am stating that it is easier to have it on for 20 mins at the low setting I have it set at, rather than leaving it on for longer, hence why my bill seems substantially lower than the majority of people here - at only €82

Just to let people know about gas boilers ,if your boiler is a standard non-condensing wall hung boiler.
    It more than likely has to be manually rated, this is to get the proper output for the house the boiler is in.

A lot of houses would have 50,000 btu boilers installed and the house might only need 40,000 or less.
    If the boiler is rated at 50,000 ,you are always going to be burning an excess of gas. If your boiler is serviced properly this rating will be done ,if not you could save yourself some money.

just echoing similar posts previously.. my bord gais bill forf the last 9 weeks was €512!!!!!!!!!! Now its a 5 bed old house and all, but the boiler is only in 3 years, and serviced twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Having read this I'm dreading getting my bill!!

Flaccus wrote: »
    and if you tell them you have kids in the house they can't cut you off (or so I am told).

Who told you that?? They will only not cut you off if you are on the special services register with them (ie if you are elderly or disabled etc). Take it from me, they cut off people for non payment, irrespective of family status etc (i am a former employee so i would know)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Flaccus wrote: »
    You don't have to pay the lot in 1 go thankfully, and if you tell them you have kids in the house they can't cut you off (or so I am told).

You've been told very much incorrectly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

Our bill was 450 but we were in credit so we have to pay 290.I actually rang them I was that shocked.New house,4 beds.Hopefully the weather is starting to get milder.I will certainly be keeping an eye on our usage.
    I think the vat was 56 euro.:eek:

Advertisement