Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Cabaal wrote: »
    You've been told very much incorrectly

I disagree. You can pay your bill off weekly before the next one comes for sure. And my colleague who works in social services has informed me there is a provision under family law whereby you will not have your heat cut off in the advent of not being able to afford to pay if you can prove you have young kids in the house. Obviously it's more complicated than that, but that's the jist of it, and this person has no reason to lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Who told you that?? They will only not cut you off if you are on the special services register with them (ie if you are elderly or disabled etc). Take it from me, they cut off people for non payment, irrespective of family status etc (i am a former employee so i would know)

That is not what a colleague who currently works in social services has told me. I have no reason to doubt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

I had to ring for my bill as it was 6 weeks overdue, something to do with them changing over the billing system.

wasn't too bad but the next one they said will be over the 300 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Flaccus wrote: »
    That is not what a colleague who currently works in social services has told me. I have no reason to doubt them.
    are you referring to the HSE or english social services? the HSE may in certain circumstances be able to help people in dire need but they would have absolutly no powers to stop Bord Gais or the ESB or any other company from cutting your supply for non payment and there is no law that stops them cutting you off either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Flaccus wrote: »
    well i worked there until a few months ago in that department. We withdraw supply in the event of non payment, as a last resort option. You can make a payment agreement etc and if you keep to an agreed payment method then you wont be cut off. Bord Gais do liaise with MABS in the event that people are having payment difficulties. However the HSE has nothing to do with Bord Gais Energy Suppply (or any other energy service provider) decisions re disconnection.

To anyone reading this who has an account in arrears with BG I would recommend you contact the Credit Control dept on 01 602 1473 to make sure you are not cut off - do not believe anything you are told otherwise!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 la la land

my bill was nearly 200 for a 2br apartment. thats about 3 times higher than normal... crazy... do i have any means of complaint...and why are we paying so much- gas is down in price

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

Just got a bill in for 550, what the hell is goin on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Just got a bill for €350 for two months. It was estimated and when I looked at the gas meter it was twice as high as the meter reading on the bill. So really not looking forward to giving a reading.

We've just a gas cooker, I know it's being cold over the last number of two/three months. But this much is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Shocking

Mr Floyd wrote: »
    Just got a bill in for 550, what the hell is goin on.

Mine was 505. Got the shock of my life. I asked a few other people I know and theirs were similar :( 480, 515, 508.

My house is rather cold at the moment but cheap dunnes thermal hoodies are helping.

If I was being honest I think the shock of the bill has made me see the light with regards to wasted electricity and gas. No fuking way I am paying 500 notes every two months for gas. I used to leave my pc on 24/7 in standby and my TV in standby too. Now every thing is off. I know I was not being very wastefull but the new prices are brutal. Hopefully they will come down off the back of the now non existant oil price crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

la la land wrote: »
    my bill was nearly 200 for a 2br apartment. thats about 3 times higher than normal... crazy... do i have any means of complaint...and why are we paying so much- gas is down in price

Complain about what? The recent cold spell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Got a bill for €800..its a 3 bed 1930's house so insulation wasnt the best but still...€800 for 2 people ina house over 2 months is excessive. We dont have it on excessively or anything.. gutted as had budgeted for a bill of around €300 MAX! Its not estimated as bill for previous 2 months was €700

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Mine was 68% up on 2 months ago, house was empty for 2 weeks over xmas with heating off... normally around €180 and skyrocketted this month, off to check the meter...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 reg_anam

got a massive gas bill. number of kilowatt hours used roughly in line with same time last year but there are two lines (insted of one) at the top of the bill giving exactly the same number of units used.

In the calculation of the bill the number of kilowatt hours used is actually twice what it should be and the bill therefore almost twice what it should be. Note the meter readings are correct and its not estimated

- the mistake is that the correct number of units is doubled in the calculation of the money due. I suspect a programming error in their new billing system - they'll be getting a phone call when we get over the shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 la la land

dvpower wrote: »
    Complain about what? The recent cold spell?

jeesh, harsh ... the price has gone way up.. .don't think the price of gas should be as high as it is...they'll be the only company whose revenues will be skyrocketing this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tomsav

When will there be competition in the gas market now the electricity has been sorted out? Bord Gas prices are way too high - even when its not a mistake!!!! My current bill is €401.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I just got a bill for 410 My highest ever despite the fact that I have been using less gas than usual.
    It's an estimated reading but works out at about 50euro per week
    They can fcuk off if they think I"m paying that kind of money for gas. I think I'll go back to solid fuel. I still have my old fireplace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Our bill was €620, meter read. There's no kids in the house and not all the rads are on. Its been on the same timer setting for years. Crazy crazy. We've requested copies of all bills for the past 12 months and cancelled the direct debit.

Not paying nought until its explained.
    tomsav wrote: »
    When will there be competition in the gas market now the electricity has been sorted out? Bord Gas prices are way too high - even when its not a mistake!!!! My current bill is €401.

There is, Flogas. Its not in all areas and it seems pretty much the same tarriff give or take 0.001 on the kW rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

I hope they charge you for copies of bills.

i cannot understand why people are whinging about the bills after the price went up in september,
    there is nothing wrong with the readings ( except if they are estimates)

but it has been confirmed "Coldest winter in 20 years for some"

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaukfauqley/

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

rameire wrote: »
    I hope they charge you for copies of bills.

i cannot understand why people are whinging about the bills after the price went up in september,
    there is nothing wrong with the readings ( except if they are estimates)

but it has been confirmed "Coldest winter in 20 years for some"

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaukfauqley/

Its quite simple. Our bills have gone up more than 20%. The heating usage hasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

€732 here. It's the only bill that my girlfriend is responsible for paying but of course she didn't question the December estimated bill of €70!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

faceman wrote: »
    Its quite simple. Our bills have gone up more than 20%. The heating usage hasnt.

So despite it being the coldest winter for 20 years for some people in Ireland your saying heating usage has not gone up...your kidding yourself right?
    :rolleyes:

Its both heating usage and bills that have gone up, its not just bills....thats is very clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Cabaal wrote: »
    So despite it being the coldest winter for 20 years for some people in Ireland your saying heating usage has not gone up...your kidding yourself right?
    :rolleyes:

Its both heating usage and bills that have gone up, its not just bills....thats is very clear

If the timer is on the same settings and the boiler hasn't been turned up or adjusted in any way and there is nothing else in the house that determines the usage of the boiler then something is definitely a miss. Still waiting on my bill for jan/feb...not looking forward to it as the g/f has a fondness of heat and leaving windows open :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Well here is a bit of good news.....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0303/energy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

Farls wrote: »
    If the timer is on the same settings and the boiler hasn't been turned up or adjusted in any way and there is nothing else in the house that determines the usage of the boiler then something is definitely a miss. :

A lower ambient temperature will make the exact same settings for the exact same time for the exact same equipment in the exact same place have different energy consumptions. If the ambient temperature is lower then more heat is lost to the exterior and trough piping and radiators. A colder winter will mean higher bills, even with no change in usage patterns.

That being said, gas is way too expensive around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

just got my bill,
    its 3 bills in one,one for before november and then one for dec 23 to jan 31 and feb 1 to mar 1 and its so much
    my problem is that I have made all of these except for feb to mar.
    so why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ah... necrophilia at its best

Advertisement