Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on a Monopod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

id be inclined to get the manfrotto.. the hama one looks like a bulky yoke.. however.. its got a max weight rating of 1kg so you might want to get something that caters for a little more weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I bought a cheap one in a hurry at a local camera shop. It sufficed for most of the football season, but only because I was close the ground. Thought that said, even extended very little, you could feel it bend under the weight of approx. 3 kgs.

Replaced it with a Manfrotto 690B, and it is so much more solid. Have used it at full extension without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

whyulittle wrote: »
    Have used it at full extension without any problems.

That's what she said! :eek:

Just a quick question for anyone using a monopod, do you have your camera attached directly to the top of the monopod or are you using a head also :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i used to use a cheap manfrotto one

it was ok, but not anything fantastic

Last year i bought a gitzo carbon one, which was mental money (something like 250 stg) but the difference is amazing

as for use i have a manfrotto 486 ball head on my monopod, its not light but the extra hieght and support is great

s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hi,
    I used a borrowed manfrotto 680B for a while, while a little heavy it is sturdy, I used it for a couple of kids soccer games. It has some internal legs which you can drop out and it will freestand, handy if you want to use remote wireless flash.
    I tried using a small ball head on it, which was really only useful for shifting the camera into portrait orientation, without the ball head you can easily articulate the cameras axis for distant scenes.

Well I've decided on this one :)

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Giottos/Giottos-ML3290-5-Section-Monopod

I presume I can fit this Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release if I want to ?

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Manfrotto/Manfrotto-Monopod-Head-Quick-Release--

To be honest the only reason I'm considering a head is for the Quick Release function, if anyone has any other cheaper/better solutions post up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Well I've decided on this one :)

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Giottos/Giottos-ML3290-5-Section-Monopod

I presume I can fit this Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release if I want to ?

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Manfrotto/Manfrotto-Monopod-Head-Quick-Release--

To be honest the only reason I'm considering a head is for the Quick Release function, if anyone has any other cheaper/better solutions post up :)
    Might a standalone quick-release plate do? Bottom part stays screwed to the pod and the quick release top plate to the camera, it would keep the weight down but you're stuck with landscape.

I've nothing bought yet & most of the quick release heads I've seen don't seem much cheaper than the adjustable one I'm considering so I'll probably go with that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

By jove you're right, I've just compared the prices, I see a 234RC in my own future now. This forum rocks - and it saves you many pesos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

I got the Manfrotto 680B from Gunns last week.€62.50 Shipping included to me here in Tramore.I was well impressed when i got it.

Alfie1 wrote: »

MyMemory won't deliver this to Ireland as it weighs over 0.4Kg :(
    I emailed them to ask if I could pay for the shipping & they said no :rolleyes:

Advertisement