Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Mayo

• 27-01-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

I start a new job in Mayo in a few weeks, primarily based in Castlebar and south Mayo. Will be there for 7 months.

Where is the best town in Mayo to live?

I drive and don't mind a bit of a commute (30 mins or less hopefully).

Hoping to rent a modern 2 bed apartment for about the 700 euro p.m. mark.
    Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I live in castlebar myself but Id probably have to say that Westport is the nicer town to live in.
    Much more of a buzz about the place.

You could put a post on the castlebar bulletin board at www.castlebar.ie mentioning that you are looking for accomodation in the area.
    If all else fails I have a tent in my back garden.
    I only charge €10 euro a night. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Thanks mardybumbum,

Even before I started I reckoned the choice would be between Castlebar, Westport and Claremorris. Good to hear from someone who actually lives there.
    Open to other options, obviously.

I'll keep the tent in mind.

No problemos.
    Westport is a much prettier town, nice for walking around in and all that jazz.
    I think the nightclub and pub scene is a lot better in westport too but thats just my opinion.

Castlebar has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years and is the best shopping town in mayo without a doubt. Main street is still a bit of an eye sore however.

And I have been fortunate enough not to spend time in claremorris so I cant comment on that town.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

best town in Mayo to live?

Depends on what your after? People of Shrule might be insulted you didn't pick their town!!
    Castlebar, Westport and Claremorris.

Westports OK, but I wouldn't like to be driving that road every day..or the Claremorris Balla - Castlebar Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Big_Dave88

Castlebar would be your best bet, it's not the prettiest town in the world but it's got all the amenitites u'd expect from a town of it's size. Also rents would probably be cheaper in Castlebar than in Westport.

• Advertisement

Big_Dave88 wrote: »
    Castlebar would be your best bet, it's not the prettiest town in the world but it's got all the amenitites u'd expect from a town of it's size. Also rents would probably be cheaper in Castlebar than in Westport.

Yeah, daft.ie agrees with you! Claremorris seems a bit cheaper. Is there a good reason for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I think Claremorris has an explosion of houses that's why rent is cheeper:D I live in Castlebar and it's nice- to be honest it's grand but quiet. Westport is a great spot to go out in but full of tourists. I didn't like Castlebar at first but it is a really nice spot when you get to know it- just not as flashy as westport. Also it is pretty close to Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you could rent a house in the hinterland of ballinrobe for €700, easy, and its only a 25 min drive to castlebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Balla is a nice centrally located town/village , socially alot quieter then cbar or westport but it has all you need, is cheap to rent in and is only 7 miles from cbar or claremorris.

Oldtree wrote: »
    you could rent a house in the hinterland of ballinrobe for €700, easy, and its only a 25 min drive to castlebar

Thanks, but I'd prefer an apartment if I could get one. I don't need the hassel and expense of running a house when its just me.;)

I took a drive to Mayo yesterday to see about commuting times to and from Castlebar. Claremorris is reasonable. Balla seems a nice spot and its between C'bar and C'morris.
    Westport is an ok commute, but traffic in the town was horrendous when i was there. Also, as my work is in south mayo and not just C'bar town it could be a long enough drive some days.
    Ballinrobe would probably be ok too.

There does't seem to be much in the way of apartments on daft.ie, I have no replies to my post on Castlebar.ie and I couldn't even find an accomodation section on the Western People's website.

Any more ideas, kind people?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Get yourself a copy of this weeks Connaught Telegraph. A quick scan and I can see 7 or 8 apartments that could suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

There are a few notice bords in a few shops in ballinrobe, like Cummins supermarket, other than that try the auctioneers below thay may be able to help, or you could try with a ad in the Mayo News.

There is an estate of small houses out the castlebar road that I have heard is half empty!

http://www.walkinauctioneers.com/

http://www.burkeauctioneers.com/

http://www.feerickproperty.com/

http://www.michaelburkeauctioneers.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Also get a copy of the Western People its out on Tuesdays usually plenty of properties to rent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

Ballinrobe is not a bad spot.Commute would be about 30 min.You should find apartments in town.Re above post def no estste on Castlebar rd half empty, are on other roads but ones on CBar rd were the best built and planned estates built in the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnOOOOO

I can rent u a new 2 bedroom apt in ballinrobe for 450€/month if u want

johnOOOOO wrote: »
    I can rent u a new 2 bedroom apt in ballinrobe for 450€/month if u want

Hey John, can you PM me the details, thanks.

Thanks for all the other leads too.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 phazedout

I'd suggest Ballina meself (as I do live there but if you're works in south Mayo it's not much use to you :P.

oh an dhello fellow mayo residents (sorry to go off topic, mods, please don't hurt me :eek:).
    Phaze
    on the "Looking ofr other people around ballina to hang with, any takers" ID

Theres a post on the castlebar bulletin board at the moment advertising a double room on the newport road in castlebar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greyhair

KoNiT wrote: »
    Depends on what your after? People of Shrule might be insulted you didn't pick their town!!

Just re Shrule, maybe do shortlist it! it might be smaller than what you had in mind but it's nice and tidy, convenient in all directions (Castlebar, Galway, even Tuam)
    I'm a "blow-in" there myself (built a house a few years back) and happy out...

Advertisement