Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoning Rails, which framework?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for a good web framework. I did a lot of PHP stuff by hand but I'm sick of coding things that have been written thousands of times.

I've been messing with rails but the ruby language is too much of a leap from what I know of programming. Functions and symbols seem to pop out of nowhere and seemingly can be referenced without class name (very little use of namespaces as far as I can see). I really like the MVC philosophy however and how simple it is to do the standard things, but I can't take any more of the language! I also like the object-relational stuff, the way I could say 'forum' has_many 'topics' and 'topics' has_many 'posts' and let it do everything for me.

I've gotten quite good at Java and am looking at frameworks. A few questions on Java frameworks:

1. Are they pretty much for enterprise only?
    2. Are they well supported?
    3. Is there licensing fees to be paid to Sun or anything?
    4. Which framework do you recommend?

Is there any rails-ish framework for Java? I'd also lean towards a framework that could possibly get me employed some time in the future.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

...BUMP? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

have you ever tried any of the php frameworks? CodeIgnitor, CakePHP, and Zend are the three biggest names from what i've read on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

Obviously struts is popular for building MVC style applications using Java/JSP.

http://struts.apache.org/

Tag libraries can give you good reuse of common components.

What type of applications are you building?

grasshopa wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking for a good web framework. I did a lot of PHP stuff by hand but I'm sick of coding things that have been written thousands of times.

I've been messing with rails but the ruby language is too much of a leap from what I know of programming. Functions and symbols seem to pop out of nowhere and seemingly can be referenced without class name (very little use of namespaces as far as I can see). I really like the MVC philosophy however and how simple it is to do the standard things, but I can't take any more of the language! I also like the object-relational stuff, the way I could say 'forum' has_many 'topics' and 'topics' has_many 'posts' and let it do everything for me.

I've gotten quite good at Java and am looking at frameworks. A few questions on Java frameworks:

Is there any rails-ish framework for Java? I'd also lean towards a framework that could possibly get me employed some time in the future.

Thanks for any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

No but that seems to be where they are most widely used.

The apache project has an excellent range of open source projects with huge communitys. A lot of the contributers are from indusrty and paid to work on these projects so the software standard is very high, from my experience

No all the good application services, and frameworks i can think of are free.

Struts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I'm gonna look at Struts. Ruby blows.

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

someone in another post mentioned grails http://grails.org/

Advertisement