Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Question

• 27-01-2009 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Just been outside checking the oil in my car and seen this;

DSC00414.jpg

Yes thats right a hole in my rad, havent noticed any overheating recently and only in the last hour driven to drogheada and back. Thing is the old girl is going in for it's nct on thursday (obviously not going to be driving it mean time) ya think chance it or leave it till i bang in a new rad?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is the coolant level dropping much?
    The NCT could take say 30 mins - will the engine survive this length sitting ticking over with no coolant?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

try a can of radweld should do the trick for a few days /weeks even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Don't know much about car but isn't there a re sealant that fix small holes in radiators

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Just been outside checking the oil in my car and seen this;

DSC00414.jpg

Yes thats right a hole in my rad, havent noticed any overheating recently and only in the last hour driven to drogheada and back. Thing is the old girl is going in for it's nct on thursday (obviously not going to be driving it mean time) ya think chance it or leave it till i bang in a new rad?

Just put some Radweld in rad,i wouldnt think its leaking to much,if at all.
    If its not overheating should be ok,if it is ever gonna OH it will dureing test by the way they rev the **** out of it,for the emmisions test..

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

If the rad is leaking badly, I wouldn't recommend bringing the car for an NCT. Thing is, if the engine starts to overheat during the emissions test, they will abort the test completeley, and you will have to come back for a Re-test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AskYerMa

im a mechanic.. looks like the fins on the rad have been bent, this are here to maximize surface area to increase cooling, bending these doesnt mean that its leaking.. if you drove for 1 hour with out issue and the car isnt overheating id day your ok.. just keep an eye on it, i reckin there is no problem. leave it ticking over in your drive way, keep an eye on the temp guage and for any leaks, if you see nothing then your in the clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

AskYerMa wrote: »
    im a mechanic.. looks like the fins on the rad have been bent, this are here to maximize surface area to increase cooling, bending these doesnt mean that its leaking.. if you drove for 1 hour with out issue and the car isnt overheating id day your ok.. just keep an eye on it, i reckin there is no problem. leave it ticking over in your drive way, keep an eye on the temp guage and for any leaks, if you see nothing then your in the clear.

Thanks, i drove my car straight up the M1 and back to my house with out occuring traffic for more than 5 mins (stopped) so it was getting constant cold air. But there is definately a leak in it i put my finger in the damp patch and it's defo leaking.

I'm after getting a replacement car sorted for tomorrow and am going to put a bit of rad weld meantime in the rad to get me through the NCT on Thursday/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Dont put that Radweld crap in your engine, get the Radiator replaced/repaired, and for those malcontents that are about to reply and tell me how much a radiator costs compared to a bottle of Radweld dont bother... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

CPG wrote: »
    Dont put that Radweld crap in your engine, get the Radiator replaced/repaired, and for those malcontents that are about to reply and tell me how much a radiator costs compared to a bottle of Radweld dont bother... :P

It's been due a ATF change and coolant change for the last while now, i'd chance it for it to go through the nct but i'd be getting it change immediately afterwards.

i by no means think the rad weld is a permanent repair.

Thanks for the replys lads.

Advertisement