Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic Dog Doors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

hi,

i would also be interested to know if they are good, if anyone has one! the below link you can buy direct you would get it shipped to Ireland for GBP99.00
    http://www.catflaps.com/home.html?target=dept_8.html&lang=en-gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I have fitted cat flaps before and Staywell are the main manufacturer in the industry. But beware, Staywell is a reputable company but the Ebay ad does state that the seller sells products on behalf of other companies... it is not the manufacturer as you have mentioned, nhughes100.
    We are a company called SELLCO who sell items on behalf of others on ebay.We currently have many similar items you may be interested in PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT OUR EBAY SHOP SELLCO100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I had a Staywell infrared locking cat flap (The dog flaps are just bigger versions of the cat flaps. ) - we bought it because we had problems with another neighbourhood cat coming into the house.

It worked great for the first few weeks, but then we started finding the unwelcome cat in the house again. We couldn't figure out how he was coming in, until one Saturday we observed the method.

The unwanted cat would scratch at the cat flap (unable to open it). My stupid cat would then trot over to the flap, and sit about 8 inches from it. This was just within range of the infra-red mechanism, so the door would unlock, and in the cat would come in unchallenged. 75 euro of high tech security thwarted by the pair of them.

Since then I switched to a Staywell magnetic flap. The magnet has to actually touch off a sensor in the flap to open it - however it has since turned out that the unwanted cat is actually strong enough to force his way in when he really wants by repeatedly headbutting the flap. At this stage, I think the only solution is to adopt him.

In conclusion, they do work, but they're not fool proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Thanks for that, where did you buy them? Did you get them locally or over the internet? I'm not too bothered about cats just keeping unwanted people out of the house really and so the dogs can go outside for a pee when I'm not around.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Maybe I'm being paranoid here, but taking what Phutyle said about thier cat letting in the neighbours cat, doesn't that leave the risk that a person could do this too?? Someone could be around your back garden and if your dog came to the door to investigate the flap would be unlocked?

I know its unlikely but maybe something to consider. Obvioulsy it might be only a small flap for a little dog, but if its anything bigger I'd be worried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement