Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prob with mac/pc wireless connection

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Ok this has me stumped

I have a netopia eircom broadband model which I usually route through a Belkin wireless network.

All was well with my laptop which I connect wirelessly.

Got an iMAC and wireless network setup was easy peasy and all perfect. In the last week, the iMAC net connection became really slow, and sometimes saying not connected to internet in Safari when network said it was connected to internet.

Googled this and found that the new OSX leopard sometimes has this problem with DNS servers so I changed by network DNS server number to a recommended one. Worked grand, back to perfect broadband speed on iMAC.

Then my laptop stopped straight away connecting. So I deleted the new DNS number on iMAC and went back to previous. So iMAC was snail slow. But also laptop dont work. Even now, laptop when I do a hard plugin to net, still barely works and some sites wont load. This just dont make sense!

Anyone any ideas?

I dont think its net problem as the laptop was working fine until I changed the iMAC settings (effect was instant)

Thanks if anyone has any ideas! Im knocking my head at this stage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Having different DNS settings on two different computers on the same network shouldn't make any difference, but just to be sure, try both of them on the same DNS settings.

I recommend the servers of dedicated DNS service www.opendns.com which are:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Advertisement