Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working notice

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Posting on behalf of another. She wants to leave her job asap but she has a minor issue. She basically wants to work till the end of march but she really wants to get across the point that she's leaving as she's unhappy with hows she's treated. She wants to know if she can say she'll work 6 weeks notice (she'll tell them in a fortnight) instead of the usual 4 (which is in her contract). can the company tell her no, and to only work the 4 weeks?

I don't know, hoping someone else will

Cheers
    Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The contract implies minimum period of notice, I've given 3 months notice before and for my last job I gave 6 weeks and both times my contract said 4 weeks.

Remember your friend can give no notice but that generally a bad idea. The point of giving notice is to allow your employer time to hire a replacement or make alternative arrangements to arrange for work to be divided out so the more notice the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cool, cheers for that. The thing she is worried about though is that she will be told to only work the 4 weeks. or even less. What i'm getting at is that can she dictate the amount of notice she works or can the company override her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I doubt they could but I dont know, if she's worried about it then just give the 4 weeks notice. Why complicate things.

Sometimes the solution is easier than the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If it's in her contract that it's 4 weeks notice then the company cannot decide her notice period will be less, if they do ask her to leave before the four weeks is up they will have to pay her 4 weeks salary.

I usually give more than my four weeks to be fair to where I work but there is a chance they will tell her to leave and only pay her for four weeks, not six. If I were her I would just give them 4 weeks notice and stipulate the reasons for leaving. If she has been treated badly then she does not owe them anything, and as said above, why complicate things?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks for advice guys! much appreciated. will pass it on to her

• Advertisement
Advertisement