Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for upgrading to wireless

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey folks,

am currently using wired broadband with perlico. i want to upgrade to wireless as i just got a ps3 which is downstairs so i want to use the 2 simultaneously but not with perlico as its very unreliable. im looking for 2mb. anyone know the best provider to go for? cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You Don't want wireless broadband, you want a wireless router. Wireless broadband would still be wired to your computer, from some form of transceiver.

A wireless router will allow you to share your broadband with a number of computer (or PC and PS3) without cables. Note that the PS3 also has an Ethernet port, which can be connected to your modem, if the modem has more than 1 LAN port.

The problems you're having with Perlico could be any one of many. Poor line quality, interference, distance from exchange, Perlico are rubbish, etc. Switching to another DSL provider may or may not do anything for you. Switching to cable broadband, from UPC for example, would get you away from the phone, as would something like Digiweb Metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 parchy

cheers for the reply,
    Ye sorry wasnt very clear with what exactly i wanted, basically just want to change my isp to someone else and was wondering who is the best provider around for price, quality etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

parchy wrote: »
    cheers for the reply,
    Ye sorry wasnt very clear with what exactly i wanted, basically just want to change my isp to someone else and was wondering who is the best provider around for price, quality etc

Before making any choices you should try and establish your line quality as it may be contributing to your problems and that will not change if you stick with dsl. Can you get your line stats and post them here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 parchy

ok thanks again for reply not sure what u mean by line statictics but here goes,
    im currently using 1mb broadband from perlico

this is taken from www.speedtest.net

399403334.png

for some reason its saying my ISP is vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

parchy wrote: »
    ok thanks again for reply not sure what u mean by line statictics but here goes,
    im currently using 1mb broadband from perlico

this is taken from www.speedtest.net

399403334.png

for some reason its saying my ISP is vodafone?

Vodafone and Perlico are the same company now. Vodafone took over Perlico about a year or so ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement