Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning apple trees

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just pruned my apple trees and looking for advice on treating the cuts. Do they need to be painted with anything? there seem to be different opinions and I am desperate for some advice, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Deararthur

After corrective pruning it is a good idea to spray before the leaves return the whole tree with a tar oil based solution eg Armillatox or similar (Woodies should have it) from your local garden centre. This will act as a disinfectant killing any harmful spores, fungi, etc. Larger cuts ie 2 inches + could be treated with Arbrex or a gloss paint over the wounds. Generally such cuts over time will recover themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Is now a good time to Prun an apple tree. I have heard the Novemer is the best time but I have missed that.
    So now or wait a little while until it gets a bit warmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Deararthur

The sooner the better and if you can do it before the end of this month!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 redsquirrel

Come on guys this is 2009! no one has painted wounds for years. It has been scientifically proved that painting wounds creates an ideal environment for fungi to colonise. gloss paint will just seperate from the damp surface of wood and leave a fantastic humid area for all sorts of nasties. Let nature takes its course and make sure that trees are pruned at the most favourable time of year and in the correct manner.
    The best time of year for pruning anything is when it is most beneficial to the tree and least beneficial to the pathogens. This would sometimes mean summer pruning when energy levels are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Ah did not paint them and wont now, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement