Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks Cakes are Rubbish - Campaign for Irish Cakes NOW.

Options
  • 28-01-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Has anyone else noticed how awful the cakes are in Starbucks and I mean AWFUL. Next time smell them and inhale the sweet smell of plastic.

I complained to Starbucks (routed to the UK) and was told that.....now wait for this....all cakes are shipped from the "mainland" and are individually wrapped in plastic hence the lovely fresh aroma. This is crazy on so many fronts -

1. why import cakes when they could be produced locally.
    2. what residual plastic are we consumming as a result.
    3. Carbon footprints.

Let's be mature and ignore the "mainland" faux pas.

Let's start a campaign for Irish pastries in all of Starbucks Irish branches or they are boycotted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

vinvon wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how awful the cakes are in Starbucks and I mean AWFUL. Next time smell them and inhale the sweet smell of plastic.

I complained to Starbucks (routed to the UK) and was told that.....now wait for this....all cakes are shipped from the "mainland" and are individually wrapped in plastic hence the lovely fresh aroma. This is crazy on so many fronts -

3. Carbon footprints.

Let's start a campaign for Irish pastries in all of Starbucks Irish branches or they are boycotted.

Can I ask do you know of any cake/confectionery manufacturer in Ireland who makes 'cakes'?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Love the patriotism. Tiochadh an la mo chaire

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just don;t use starbucks full stop, if you cared so much about Ireland you;d use a Irish based cafe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is cakeaphobia a hatred of foreign cakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

vinvon wrote: »

3. Carbon footprints.

4. Stop buying them.I don't know anyone that does so you must be supporting this franchise by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Countermoon

That's a strange contradiction - the OP wants Irish cakes in Starbucks so he can buy Irish....!? But since when was Starbucks itself Irish?

Just stop going there, OP. There are much better places for coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's only one thing worse than hermetically sealed buns, and that's coffee.

Stop going to Starbucks, problem solved. Bake your own fresh buns, and bring a flask of hot water to work. It's what's needed in these recessionary times.

Though you can't beat a fresh Stafford's cream doughnut, or eclair. Mmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

well the only thing i can say is i don't know many other places that sell gluten free cakes/buns with your coffee. starbucks have GF belgian chocolate cake and gf lemon drizzle buns. its a nice treat when you have a cake craving and can't seem to find them anywhere else... normally us coeliacs have to put up with rock hard bread and foul tasting "cake" - at least the gluten free stuff in starbucks in actually edible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

cuisine de france have killed off all the great irish bakeries (kylemore, mannings, etc etc) so it's not like they have much choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is cakeaphobia a hatred of foreign cakes?

No that would be being scared of cakes.

Cakeism maybe the word your looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Did they actually call the UK the mainland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

But if Starbucks start stocking Irish cakes instead of cakes from the mainland then isn't that just replacing one rubbish cake with another?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Stop going to Starbucks.

Get yourself a Gateaux cake (cos you gotta get a Gateaux) and make yourself a Dunnes brand coffee at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

faceman wrote: »
    Get yourself a Gateaux cake

AFAIK Gateaux no longer make cakes in Ireland and have not done so for a long time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

cuisine de france have killed off all the great irish bakeries (kylemore, mannings, etc etc) so it's not like they have much choice

Eh? Mannings are still going strong and have great cakes and cookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

faceman wrote: »
    Stop going to Starbucks.

If the OP and everyone else did how much longer would the dole Q's be? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

calex71 wrote: »

Does that mean that the dole office sells cake and coffee as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Does that mean that the dole office sells cake and coffee as well?

Probably don't sell them. Just hand them out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

carlow has a nice cake shop in potato market. lovely fresh buns cakes gingerbread people etc etc hmmmmmm:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Did they actually call the UK the mainland?

The OP asked us to be mature and ignore that brain-dead, ignorant aspect.

But I have to say it's a pretty dumb thing to say; and it's far from isolated; lots of the UK guests on Irish talk-shows make the same mistake.

I worry about people sometimes.....I really do. I mean, are they not teaching geography anymore or something ?

And considering that the UK itself is an island off "mainland Europe"..... :rolleyes:

But back on-topic, OP - if you're that worried, stop supporting the franchises whose napkins and flyers tell you to visit a .co.uk website - Subway being another offender - those combined with that "mainland" mistake would have me finding somewhere else to eat, that's for sure.

Find a cafe that's Irish and supports local bakeries.... the pesky ignorant "mainlanders" will soon get the hint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dh0661 wrote: »
    AFAIK Gateaux no longer make cakes in Ireland and have not done so for a long time.

:eek: didnt know that!
    calex71 wrote: »

not too much longers. There will always be the blinkered ones who dont care what goes on behind the starbucks empire and also dont care about the impact of spending in a foreign owned company who will still go to Starbucks.

*cough* ....losers... *cough*

Advertisement