Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a small forest..

Options
  • 28-01-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Not sure if any of ye can answer this, but I've set aside 1 Hectare of agricultural land with the intention of planting some native woodland next winter.. But I'm unsure if I should involve coillte as I'd like to maintain control of the trees..

Are there any drawbacks to coillte grants? What are the terms and conditions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Not sure re grants etc, but their young trees are cheap..... Ask them direct; they are very approachable.

We had around 100 native trees and hedgerow bushes from them at the end of last year.

Ask them? Only way to find out.

NB if you do it needs to be soon, before the dormant season ends.

Simon.d wrote: »
    Not sure if any of ye can answer this, but I've set aside 1 Hectare of agricultural land with the intention of planting some native woodland next winter.. But I'm unsure if I should involve coillte as I'd like to maintain control of the trees..

Are there any drawbacks to coillte grants? What are the terms and conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

sorella wrote: »
    Not sure re grants etc, but their young trees are cheap..... Ask them direct; they are very approachable.

We had around 100 native trees and hedgerow bushes from them at the end of last year.

Ask them? Only way to find out.

NB if you do it needs to be soon, before the dormant season ends.

I've decided to leave it till the next dormant season... So plenty of time! But regarding asking them, I already have.. I'd just like a more objective perspective on the grants..

What do they entail? I'm always suspicious when getting something for free!

Do I forfeit some control of the trees? I understand that there are certain laws with regard to all trees, i.e. they can't be felled without a licence, and probably many others..

As well as it being an amenity, I'd like to have access to the timber as the trees mature, as a sustainable source of fuel.. I might even want to scrap the whole forest Idea and return it to grassland, who knows what the future holds!

Essentially I'm nervous about entering a contract with coillte without knowing the small print (If there is any!).. Would there be any difference if I bought and planted the trees myself (aside from me forking out a few grand of my own money)?

We got around a hundred for under E50... No strings. Tiny saplings....

I meant ask them what conditions are attached to the grants:) There must be a printed contract.
    Simon.d wrote: »
    I've decided to leave it till the next dormant season... So plenty of time! But regarding asking them, I already have.. I'd just like a more objective perspective on the grants..

What do they entail? I'm always suspicious when getting something for free!

Do I forfeit some control of the trees? I understand that there are certain laws with regard to all trees, i.e. they can't be felled without a licence, and probably many others..

As well as it being an amenity, I'd like to have access to the timber as the trees mature, as a sustainable source of fuel.. I might even want to scrap the whole forest Idea and return it to grassland, who knows what the future holds!

Essentially I'm nervous about entering a contract with coillte without knowing the small print (If there is any!).. Would there be any difference if I bought and planted the trees myself (aside from me forking out a few grand of my own money)?

So glad you got the advice you need on the other forum.

sorella wrote: »
    We got around a hundred for under E50... No strings. Tiny saplings....

I meant ask them what conditions are attached to the grants:) There must be a printed contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

There is a Native Woodland Scheme....if you go to your local Teagasc office they can give you all the infomation you require I'm sure.

I have over the years i have planted over a hundred of acres of forestry....its my pension plan.....coillte were the first forestry service i approched but used SWS Forestry in Bandon and later Greenbelt. No reason but i just found these guys better on the ground. But my reason for planting are different from yours so start with Teagasc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement