Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair reducing it's Shannon ops?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

i was trying to price liverpool for july and it said flights were all booked up or the flights were terinated.. i must keep an eye on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

One of my mates works out in SNN and he is full time and is working part time hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

One of my mates works out in SNN and he is full time and is working part time hours!

Has this something to do with reduced travel in general or wirh Ryanair reducing their slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It wont come as much of a surprise if they curtail services from Shannon.

When O'Leary had the same amounts of planes he was opening new routes. How, you ask?

He may have had 3 flights in and out of an airport and reduced it to one allowing him to open 2 more routes.

I wouldnt be surprised if Shannon will eventually be left with Edinburgh and two London routes.

Probably reduced travel but still that isnt good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Shannon/Prestwick Ryanair flights seem to be gone for Tuesdays and Thursdays not sure about other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There has been reduced operations on many routes particularly UK routes it has just gone un-noticed.

The loss of two aircraft may not be as bad as it seems- There are many UK routes which would be operated by aircraft based at other bases instead of the Shannon based aircraft. We would still be left with 4 aircraft which is still a substantial enough operation

With the way the economy has gone its not much of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

On the subject of Ryanair their Manchester service on the weekends of Utd games is a complete and utter rip. I was pricing out the weekend of the villa game in early april today and it was costing €240, the return flight being late on a Sunday night.
    Flying the weekend before with no game on flights can be got for less than €50 return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Aidric wrote: »
    On the subject of Ryanair their Manchester service on the weekends of Utd games is a complete and utter rip. I was pricing out the weekend of the villa game in early april today and it was costing €240, the return flight being late on a Sunday night.
    Flying the weekend before with no game on flights can be got for less than €50 return.

So you want Michael to charge €240 every week even when there's no demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i hope they dont cut the shannon-murcia flights :)

I wonder where the Indo got their facts- I have had confirmation from Ryanair crew who attended a meeting at Shannon that it is two aircraft to go, with 4 remaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

RYANAIR are reportedly preparing to announce staff cutbacks and changes to services at Shannon Airport by the end of this week.
    The Labour Party's spokesperson on tourism, Alan Kelly, said the "decision by Ryanair, which seems all but final, to cut services in and out of Shannon, is tantamount to kicking the Mid-West region when it is already on its knees."

The cutbacks are expected to be enforced in protest of the €10 airport tax, but a spokesperson for Ryanair told the Limerick Leader: "We can't comment on rumour and speculation."

A spokesperson for Shannon Airport Authority (SAA) confirmed that it as been in discussions with Ryanair since they warned of a reduction of services in response to the announcement of the introduction of an air travel tax in the budget.

However, while the spokesperson did not comment specifically on the possible reduction of routes, they stated that Ryanair has committed to a contractual arrangement with SAA "that we expect the airline to honour."

"The airline availed of an extremely attractive based aircraft incentive scheme, which was available to all carriers. This commenced in 2005 and as part of the contract, Ryanair agreed to deliver two million passengers in the fifth year of operating its base here," read the statement.

It continued: "The airline has made a very significant contribution to the local economy and we will continue to support their services here in whatever way we can so that they will maintain a sustainable network of services for our customers long into the future."
    Ryanair carried about two million passengers through Shannon in 2008 and their operations are to be boosted this year by Aer Lingus' decision to resume its Shannon/Heathrow flights from next month, as well as the introduction of full US pre-customs clearance facilities in July next.

In a statement to the Limerick Leader last summer, a spokesperson for the SAA said the airport would "never have achieved the peaks of recent years without them (Ryanair)" but said Shannon Airport is "by no means is this a one-airline airport".

The full article contains 353 words and appears in n/a newspaper.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Ryanair-set-to-cut-services.4945857.jp

RYANAIR boss Michael O'Leary is to host a press conference in Shannon tomorrow morning.
    A press release issued by Ryanair this afternoon is inviting media to the briefing, to be held at the Park Inn Hotel at Shannon Airport at 10am.

There are fears that the airline is to announce staff cutbacks and changes to services at Shannon Airport.

Speculation is rife that the cutbacks are expected to be enforced in protest of the €10 airport tax, but a spokesperson for Ryanair told the Limerick Leader this week: "We can't comment on rumour and speculation."

Labour's spokesperson on tourism, Alan Kelly, said earlier this week that the "decision by Ryanair, which seems all but final, to cut services in and out of Shannon, is tantamount to kicking the Mid-West region when it is already on its knees."

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Michael-O39Leary-to-host-Ryanair.4947011.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

mmm im starting to get nervous that the murcia and alicante routes will be cut. these are 2 profitable routes so i hope not!!

Yeah i booked holidays for my parents on the Murcia route, hope they dont cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Im getting nervous now that Ryanair are pulling completly out of Shannon airport. They do that and the whole midwest is in trouble. I hope, really hope, its only some and not all flights that they are cancelling. We need some GOOD news in the midwest, not more disaster!

banjobongo wrote: »
    Im getting nervous now that Ryanair are pulling completly out of Shannon airport. They do that and the whole midwest is in trouble. I hope, really hope, its only some and not all flights that they are cancelling. We need some GOOD news in the midwest, not more disaster!

They are not pulling out of Shannon completely.

The routes that are going are Hahn, Turin, Fuertuventura and Lodz, and reduced frequencies on alot of UK routes.

There will be increased frequencies on alot of Spain routes, interestingly is Malaga which sees an increase to daily......

All will be revealed tommorow!

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (Thurs, 5 Feb) confirmed that the Government’s new and unfair €10 travel tax is already having a damaging impact on forward bookings from 30th March next. This €10 tourist tax, which has already caused traffic declines in the UK and Holland when previously introduced, is devastating forward bookings in Shannon, because in many cases it exceeds the air fare paid by many passengers on Ryanair’s low fares routes from Shannon. Ryanair regrets that this 100% rate of tax leaves it with no alternative other than to reduce its aircraft numbers, routes, flights and traffic to/from Shannon from 30th March.

Ryanair confirmed this morning that from 30th March, it will:

* Reduce its Shannon based aircraft numbers from 6 to 4 in Summer’09.
    * Reduce its route network at Shannon from 30 to 25.
    * Cut its weekly Shannon flights from 136 to 116 flights.
    * Reduce its Shannon traffic from 1.9m to 1.2m in the first year of this unfair €10 tourist tax.
    * Reduce its Shannon jobs from over 300 to less than 200.

These cuts will result in over 100 Ryanair jobs at Shannon being transferred to other bases. The loss of 700,000 passengers will also give rise to the loss of approximately 700 support jobs in and around Shannon Airport.

Ryanair condemned the Irish Government’s insane decision to levy a flat rate €10 tourist tax on passengers travelling from the West of Ireland, at fares which are frequently less than €10 one way. Ryanair called again on the Irish Government – even at this late stage – to cancel this insane and stupid tax which will devastate traffic and tourism numbers in Ireland in 2009.

Speaking today in Shannon, Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

“Having invested millions of euro and sustained large losses growing Ryanair’s base in Shannon over the past 4 years from 400,000 to 1.9m passengers (at a time when Aer Lingus and many other airlines pulled out) this insane €10 visitor tax will devastate traffic at Shannon. The only reason why many of the 1.9m passengers travel with Ryanair to/from Shannon is because of Ryanair’s exceptionally low fares, many of which are less than €10. This Government’s decision to impose a travel tax of more than 100% on these price sensitive visitors is insane and simply “tourism suicide”.

“It is not as if the Irish Government hasn’t seen examples from other EU countries of the devastating failure this travel tax will have on visitor numbers. The UK’s traffic has already fallen 10% and Dutch visitors by even more since they introduced an equally stupid and self defeating tourist tax. Ryanair again calls on the Government to scrap this suicidal tax measure and make greater savings by withdrawing funding from useless quangos like Tourism Ireland (€40m) or Fáilte Ireland (over €60m).

“Irish tourism can only succeed if Ireland is a low cost destination. Irish tourism has been the beneficiary of Ryanair’s extremely low fares and no fuel surcharges for many years, but now this Government seems determined to kill the tourism industry with this insane €10 visitor tax. Ryanair will do its utmost to maintain the maximum number of flights and traffic at Shannon, but we cannot do so when the Government taxes are greater than our ticket prices, which makes Shannon and the West of Ireland totally uncompetitive against the many other low cost – non taxed – destinations across Europe.”

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=feb&story=gen-en-050209

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Still no word yet on exactly what routes are affected

• Advertisement

Still no word yet on exactly what routes are affected

Loss of Hahn, Turin, Lodz, Fuertuventura, and Newcastle by the looks of it

Reduced frequencies on alot of UK routes

Spain/portugal frequencies as per last summer, no cuts there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Routes being terminated on 30th March are:

Berlin, Gdansk, Katowice, Luton and Newcastle.

Reduction will be seen on the following routes:

Malaga will be cut from 6 flights a week to 4

Alicante 3 to 2

Barcelona 5 to 4

Krakow 3 to 2

Murcia 4 to 3

Palma 3 to 2

Wroclaw 3 to 2

Just got notification today that flights to Murcia have changed to evening times, which is a bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

absolute a$$holes......it was great being able to get to newcastle from shannon....was always a busy flight too. Back to the drive to Dublin or Cork then. Wonder will the government scrap their pointless travel tax and save shannon from losing flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

anoble66 wrote: »
    absolute a$$holes......it was great being able to get to newcastle from shannon....was always a busy flight too. Back to the drive to Dublin or Cork then. Wonder will the government scrap their pointless travel tax and save shannon from losing flights.

I used to find the East Midlands flight handy as well until they killed it. Can't fadom why, as it was both busy and popular.

The current shower don't have the brainpower to do what is in the interest of anything outside the Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with taxes. Passengers pay the taxes not Ryanair. People are not going to cancel holidays over €10.

O'Leary's "Low Farce Airline" is in way over it's head. It has hundreds of basic aircraft on order from Boeing, nobody to fly on them, no money to pay for them, and not a whif of anyone interested in buying them as they are too cheap and cheerless for any other airline. A €30 carry on luggage charge will have more effect on passenger numbers than a pitiful €10 tax.

I hope SAA tell O'Leary where to shove his aircraft. He is a gimp of the highest order who has overextended his company's borrowing capacity to pay for unnecessary aircraft.

Ryanair could well not exist in 5 years time, and far from Ryanair seeking to buy Aer Lingus, it could be the exact opposite that happens.

Yes it is good that alot of people use shannon-newcastle etc, but if nearly everybody on that flight paid less than a tenner for the fare portion of the ticket its not earning very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Berlin flights canceled from the 30th of March!!! Me and 10 mates from univeristy booked a flight during easter from the 7th of April till the 14th from Shannon to Berlin.

No e-mail or anything yet from ryanair but this doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

ninty9er wrote: »
    This has absolutely NOTHING to do with taxes. Passengers pay the taxes not Ryanair. People are not going to cancel holidays over €10.

O'Leary's "Low Farce Airline" is in way over it's head. It has hundreds of basic aircraft on order from Boeing, nobody to fly on them, no money to pay for them, and not a whif of anyone interested in buying them as they are too cheap and cheerless for any other airline. A €30 carry on luggage charge will have more effect on passenger numbers than a pitiful €10 tax.

I hope SAA tell O'Leary where to shove his aircraft. He is a gimp of the highest order who has overextended his company's borrowing capacity to pay for unnecessary aircraft.

Ryanair could well not exist in 5 years time, and far from Ryanair seeking to buy Aer Lingus, it could be the exact opposite that happens.

This has everything to do with a ridiculous tax thought up by an inept government. As a frequent Ryanair traveller i usually pay approx 50 - 60 euro return to europe and now fat cowen and dopey lenihan want me to pay 10 quid more its a joke.

O Leary is one of the reasons that tourism is doing so well in the region and I think he sould be congratualed and given control of aer lingus sooner rather than later.

Also SAA exists in name only and is nothing but a sob by the DAA to make people down this end of the country feel better when in all fairness they couldn't give a rats ass about Shannon or its future or impact on the locality due to flight reduction not only by Ryanair but many other carriers

At the end of the day ryanair is the CIE of carriers and if I have to carry out my luggage and throw it under the plane like a bus to keep me travelling cheap I will

• Advertisement
Advertisement