Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area Codes

Options
  • 28-01-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering where an area code is.
    I got a missed call from an 01849XXXX

Does anyone have any idea where this is?
    I know its in the Dublin/North Wicklow area, but where?
    Ive tried calling back, but it rang out, I left a voicemail, but no response.
    Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The area code (01) just indicates Dublin. (01) 849 is assigned to Skerries Exchange. There's fair chance that it's in the general Skerries area, but some exchanges can cover a much wider area than you'd expect. Or, be the parent exchange for somewhere that is not all that near by.

The first few digits of a local phone number often let you identify the exchange, but it's not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hi Solair, is there a website that has those details on it i.e. what part of Dublin has an 01 xxx number assigned to it? I have vague memories of having a link to one before but I seem to have lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you run a dsl line check on www.smarttelecom.ie for example, it will tell you the exchange the number's assigned on.

However, just be aware that they're not really area codes - you can have several blocks of numbers on one exchange and also, some numbers are ported thesedays too when people switch operator or move house.

Telephone numbering's much more flexible thesedays than it used to be. In the old days, the telephone number had to be highly structured as the electromechanical switching systems had no intelligence or ability to really analyse a number. The digits dialled had to represent physical connection points within the system. As you dialled, the switching system activated relays and crosspoint switches to select a path. Each digit dialled moved it a step further along the path. A lot of that structured numbering is kept in place today, simply because people are used to it. However, they're moving away from it. It hasn't really been required since digital switching took over in the 1980s.

In the modern system your phone number is more like a URL on the internet. When you dial it, the phone system actually looks up the real end point address it connects to. It doesn't have to be your actual telephone e.g. if you've call diversion active, it knows that and the call is routed correctly to the new end point e.g. your mobile or your eircom voicemail box etc.

Or, if you've moved house or, moved network (e.g. to UPC cable phone or Blueface VoIP) the system knows that and there's a new end address associated with that phone number.

Eircom and many other fixed line providers around the world tend to stick with their exchange-based numbering because it makes life easier for them to keep everything organised in some kind of a logical arrangement.

Advertisement